Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 1997 honda crv that won't start or turn over. I put

Customer Question

I have a 1997 honda crv that won't start or turn over. I put key in ignition and the red light beeps 2 times. The battery is dead and I have to jump start it. Can you please help me
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I charged it with a battery charger and it won't hold a charge. It's been sitting for a year due to my accident
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Also I diconnet the alarm horn because it just goes off when I hook up battery charger
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have put it in neutral and tried to start it.. nothing ... the red N and P lights blink 3 times
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Your looking for information on how to diagnose or what can cause this no start condition?

It does start with a jump correct?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No.. the lights for ignition come on
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I would like to text so I have all directions so I won't forget any steps
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Ok

(you could call me back anytime if needed once you accept the phone call offer)

But we can certainly continue on this page,

So the ignition comes on but it does not crank over correct?

Have you checked the starting circuit?

Have you checked for power down at the starter?

You would have have faulty starter.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No. I had the car running this morning so starter is not bad. It is the alarm or 2nd alarm that is causing the car not to start
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Is this a factory alarm system or aftermarket alarm?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have both
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I just want to disable all the alarm systems.
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

I am going to leave this open for other experts.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.my name is Peter here to help. I read your notes and ready to help you. The reason your alarms are acting up is because they are voltage sensative, meaning if the voltage is not up or fluctuates below a certain threshold it will trigger them. The other thing is after a car battery has been sitting without being charged on a regular basis it will sulfate and not hold a proper charge any more. If your vehicle has an immobilizer which I suspect it does , you cannot dissable it because it is programed intop the main ECU , so you will have to disconnect the battery or replace it with a new one then reset that system. if you have an after market anti theft unit you can merley dissconnect the unit and fuse.When vehicles are to sit for extended periods it is adviseable to disconnect the battery and put on a trickle charger.Is there any further help I can provide for you? If not please take the toinme to rate my service with a 5 stars. Thank you.