Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

2010 CRV check engine light on, no power, mechanic checked

Customer Question

2010 CRV check engine light on, no power , mechanic checked valves, not loose, fuel ok, sputters, can't get it over 40 miles per hour, pressing on gas makes it sputter worse, mechanic feels he has checked everything, thinks it is the computer. Your guess?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

What we see in the shop here is stretched timing(worn) chains. The crank sensor code sets because the cam timing is off. We went through the same thing with our first ones. Have your mechanic check the camshaft timing. If it's off the chain and gears will need to be replaced. It's becoming a fairly common problem. That's why it runs so poorly, retarded camshaft timing and the ECM goes into limp mode. High mileage, lock of oil changes or both are the cause.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to credit me.
Thank you,
~Honda-Man
Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.