Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

P0420 code on Honda Pilot 2005. But it comes back on. I need…

P0420 code on Honda...

P0420 code on Honda Pilot 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Yes but it comes back on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

I need to pass inspection

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am planning on doing it myself

Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
7/3/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, this is for Bank1(rear bank) catalytic converter. You need to check for exhaust leaks and repair as found. If ok, then the rear back catalytic converter will need to be replaced - see attached directions

One problem you may run into is snapping off the studs when trying to remove the nuts for converter as well as snapping off the bolts for it due to heat corrosion. If this happens, then you can be looking at removing the cylinder head to have the broken bolts extracted.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

The light goes off once a year for a couple of days. Do you think using a catalytic converter cleaner/gas additive may work enough pass inspection?

HI,

You can try cataclean and see if it will turn the light off long enough to pass inspection. It works about 50% of the time. Most major parts stores carry it

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Thank you for your reply but I am going to try a catalytic converter cleaner first if it does not work then I will probably take it to a mechanic.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager