Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Well, I have a Honda Pilot 2004. Keep getting P0401 code,

Customer Question
Hi JA: Hello. How can we...
Hi
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: Well, I have a Honda Pilot 2004. Keep getting P0401 code
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Insufficient flow P0401 I tried resetting keeps coming back.
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaned intake manifold, changed EGR valve
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Replaced Canister vent shut valve
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Honda
6/15/2017
Mechanic for Honda: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. I know you replaced the egr already but try the rest of the steps

Ok, so basically the only thing I have not done is replaced the upper intake cover gasket. I will try that and come back if the check engine returns. What can I use to connect the EGR connector to the battery terminals for that test?

standby please

a jumper wire. any kind of length of wire stripped on both ends

Perfect. Will troubleshoot and post my results.

ok. ill be here

Ok so changed the gasket. Tried the test where I connect the egr valve to the battery and I hear the valve click but no difference in idle. I have cleaned all ports so im not sure what the issue can be. There are 6 egr ports also one behind the throttle body. Is there others I need to clean?

no, thats about it

erase he code and fire her up

Ok. Done.
I guess Ill have to wait until tomorrow to see if the code returns.

exactly. fingers crossed.

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed.

Its back.

ok, ill open this up to others. good luck

Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 5 months ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician

Hello welcome to Just answer I am master tech,

if you remove the EGR valve and start the engine will it idle?

when the engine is running you will hear the exhaust and this is normal.

but if this run's with the EGR off then the intake port side is plugged and will need to be unplugged.

this is going to possible require the removal of the water crossover pipe and isolating the blockage.

please let me know your results.

Dino

Water crossover pipe. Where is that?

Hello, the water pipe is what the EGR is mounted to. this also connects to the cylinder head.

I have seen these plug up inside the cylinder head it's self.

this crossover pipe connects the rear bank and front together

MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician