Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

No power to fuel pump on 91 civic. Just started and died…

No power to fuel...

No power to fuel pump on 91 civic. Just started and died after replacing the battery. New pump. Newish relay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Its gone.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

4 wires going to pump which wires would i supply power to check new pump?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also only 2 wires at relay when trying to start.

6/13/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Is this a hatchback, sedan or wagon?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hatch. Base model. 4 pin relay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Always ran. Tried starting it with bad battery. Replaced battery. Started right up then died. Checked fuel pressure by lossening hoses at filter. Nothing. Replaced pump. The realized there is no power to pump.

Thank you. One moment while I post your information.

Is this a 1.5 or a 1.6 liter engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4 pins one the relay. 4 pins at the pump. Which wires should be hot when on and cranking. Which wires at the pump can i supply power to to test pump?

Is this a 1.5 or a 1.6 liter engine?

I need to know this to look up your fuel pump diagram.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1.5 base model.

It is the yellow wire with black stripe wire that feeds power to the fuel pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have yellow with black. Yelllow with white. Black with white and black. The pump is new. How do i check the relay and ecm. Two wires at relay are only hot when cranking but not when on. When do i suspect the ecm?

Does the check engine light come on with the key on for two seconds for a bulb check?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ecm. Wiring. Relay. Pump. Can there be another part? Ive not found bad fuses.

Another faulty part?

Sure there can be.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 sec

Ok, good. Does the relay click when the key is turned on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Clicks when cranking. I can feel it in my hand

There should be three wires going into the main relay that have power while cranking.

Blue/white wire

Black/yellow wire

Yellow/white wire

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ill check again. Only had two. No power at yellow black wire at pump

Ok, let me know

Your sure all of the fuses are good right?

Have you checked the ignition switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3 wires hot at relay.

Do you have a good ground going into the relay? If so, what color wire has a ground?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Blue black and red black are grounded at relay

The green/black wire and the black wire are the grounds for the relay.

Do you have power coming out of the relay on the yellow/black wire while cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked the fuses underdash. All good. Looked at ground at relay again. No green. Just blue. Now only black and red have ground? Did i throw a fuse into an empty slot? They are all positive.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Key on or off. One ground at relay

The computer grounds the fuel pump relay with the key on. This needs to happen or the fuel pump will not come on.

I assume there is no power leaving the relay going to the fuel pump correct while cranking? Please double check this.

If your sure the computer is not grounding the fuel pump relay, then you could have a faulty PCM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked power again at relay. 3 hot when cranking. Not blue. You say i should have 2 grounds when on? What about temp while cranking?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im done for the day. I will feed the pump to hear it. The diagram you sent says all different colors except the blue and white. I know i have no broken wires. Only changed the battery. Want to suspect the pcm. Its the only thing 27 years old.

I hear ya! If your able to send me your VIN, I can send a more accurate wiring diagram of the fuel pump and main relay. Right now, it sounds like the PCM could be an issue if your sure there are no wiring issues to or from the main relay (provided the new main relay is good)

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Youve been a great help. Just wish that wiring diagram was spot on like it is for my 01 civic coupe. I was gonna sell it and it broke the day i was gonna deliver. Go figure. Dont really want to sell it. Cant have it not running either. Its a classic with many new parts. Looks like chit needs a swap but straight with no rust. Was hoping to talk with a serious honda expect. But if what you say about the relay is right. Ill do more checks and suspect the pcm. Btw. 16 flashes on the pcm. Whats that code?
Sir, I need your vin to provide you with an accurate wiring diagram.Going to log off for a bit to eat with the family. Will wait for you to reply with the vin. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2hgED6349MH562574 :-)

Thank you for the VIN! I double checked two resources. According to this VIN, it is the green/black wire that is grounded by the computer to the main relay to activate the fuel pump. If there is no green/black wire for some reason, you will need to determine which wire it is and check to see if it has a ground going to it from the computer while cranking. I have attached two diagrams. One of the other half of the first diagram I sent earlier.

Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Started the car today by running a hot wire to the pump. Have a code 16. Fuel injectors. Honda forumns say a bad relay can give this fault. Gonna get a new relay b4 thinking about the ecm.

Sounds good! Thanks for the heads up!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bad relay. Even though it clicked. Intalled a new one. Starts fine. No more code 16.

YUP! That will do it!

Glad to hear it is all fixed!