Michael Koster
Michael Koster,
Experience:  master technician at herb chambers honda of seekonk
98691446

I have 2008 honda crv, it runs on high idle. obd 2 code

Customer Question

I have 2008 honda crv , it runs on high idle . obd 2 code comes p0507.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: It has 270,000 km it 2.4 L
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I doing myself , I did clean throttle body and checked all the vacuum leak
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: then i replaced throttle body , still same problem
Category: Honda
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. please allow me a few minutes to look up some information for you. thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I allready paid .

dont know what that means... i only answer questions

I know you said you checked for vacuum leaks, but how did you do it and did you check the areas on the attachment

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have 2008 honda crv , obd2 codes come p0507 , it runs high idle, i cleaned throttle body and vacuum leak check , but no luck then replace throttle body and relearn the idle , still no luck
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked every thing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
honda dealer also checked vacuum , they said no leck

ok

tell me how you did the idle relearn

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
since yesterday one other code start to come 83-1

thats not a valid code

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
first disconnect both battery cable for 10 min then put them back turn off all load then run key to postion 2 then start engine holded 3000 rpm until radiator comes on then let it idle for 10 mins
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it says pcm communication failed
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
search taht code on google , it comes when u scan

try it this way please. its almost the same but it wont hurt to try

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did that but I do not have HDS , i try to reset by dis conneting battery, car runs ok but high idle. 1300rpm
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have normal scanner

you can you that

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this car was at Honda dealer last week , they updated pcm, they said bring it back next week then we will call our tech line to ask about it but that i replaced throttle body ,
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not want to take it back , because they learn on my with $$$$$. they do not know much

this is what the service manual says. to try doing the same things until it passes

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this thing I doing last 2 days , I got same stuff from google. no luck
what you think disconnecting battery terminal will reset pcm?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
codes comes back every time

if you disconnect both battery terminals and touch them together for 30 seconds. let them hang for 20 minutes. then reconnect

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what you recommend next step? could be bad pcm or what?

absolutely I believe its a bad pcm

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have you ever got car with high idle and fixed ? looks like honda common problem .any other step ? before replacing expensive part{pcm}
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I seen google is full with honda high Idle problem

usually a vacuum leak or a throttle body gasket thats damaged.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
every single thing checked 20 times and perfect , no vacuum , no gasket leak . this is first car that I could not . I do not understand what should I do next.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I mean could not fix

pcm

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
0k , I will try pcm . then let you know . thanks

you're welcome my friend. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If you do not mind , are you shop experience? I do not think so . When said , could be bad pcm , then you reply absolutely. Looks like I know more then you . I waisted my money. Never mind . Thanks
Expert:  Michael Koster replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm a Honda master tech, unfortunately I think the last guy gave you some bad info. While it is possible that a pcm is cause in my experience its highly unlikely. Most of the time I find that the cause of this concern is a stuck pcv valve. Pinch off the hose and see if the rpm drops some. I'm including a pic of the location so you can find it easier. And please try not to rate my response based on the previous "expert"

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello mike , pcv valve A in attached picture ,that hose was squeezed. I replaced that hose last week. could be that pcv valve stuck closed that cause made that hose squeezed all the way. how I can find that pcv valve not working properly. thanks

If the hose was collapsed it is a sing of oil contamination. Normally the pcv valve fail open and causes a vacuum leak. if it is stuck shut you should notice that if you pinch the hose off you don't feel or hear a click from the check ball. Either way I have a feeling its letting oil through because of the hose. I just looked up the part and it only costs about $8 on ROCKAUTO.COM so it is worth replacing regardless. Also if you problem occurred after replacing that hose it is a vacuum hose and could also be part of the problem. Keep me in the loop and I will help as much as i can. Mike

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks mike . that is the right answer . I agree with that . I ordered new pcv valve , let you know after I installed it .thanks mike
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
see attach file , I start to get code 83-1 . any Idea ? thanks

even the factory scanner gives you that screen it wont left you watch data over 30mph. as far as the 83-1 its just the abs saying its off due to a malfunction in the pgm-fi, in your case the p0507. So once you fix the p0507 and clear all codes you should not see the 83-1 any more.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok , thanks

no problem

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also bought used ecu from auto wreck 2 days ago , because other guys said pcm. I will try to replace pcv valve first if solve the problem.
ECU{pcm} that I bought if I need to put in then need to be keys programmed with it otherwise will not work.If I need to do that anyway then I can Program keys with it at home or not ..what is the step you have to do when you swap ECU? thanks MIKE
I know some of the nicer autel scanners can do it orther than that you need dealer access as far as i know but im not an expert when it comes to aftermarket key programing as i only use the honda stuff. I can tell you that most dealers will program your new ecu for around $100
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did change new pcv valve , but no luck . and did relearn rpm , still no luck . still on 1300-1400 rpm.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what could be next ?? thanks
If your scanner has data check the map value it should be around .9V if its up over 1v pinch off all the hoses to the intake and see if it comes down. There are three or four that i can think of; purge control, booster, pcv and the imrc if you have it its a small hose on the right side of the intake near the power steering pump I cant remember what year they stoped putting it in CRVs. Your not getting any lean codes which makes me think you have a mettered air leak rather than a vacuum leak. Also it is unlikely but block off the egr with a business card, july ust loosen the bolts a few turns and slip the card inband tighten it back down.
Also send me a pic of your data list I may see something im not thinking of. I also wonder about the fuel trims.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
one more
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
all the hoses are left side , I do not see any by left side . see attached files
You dont have imrc. Were ypu able to look at your data list?
i was just looking through and it look like your mass air flow sensor is reading funny. Honda show it in gallons per second not pounds but it generlly reads around 4lbs at idel if it is reading low that could be part of the problem. Try unpluging it and see if the idle comes down. Youll have to clear a code after but it might be telling
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did clean mass air flow sensor too. I go outside and try to disconnect it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just checked , when I disconnect mass air flow sensor then car stop running right way .
Sorry I should have explained that better. You need to uplug it then start the engine. I have never had any luck cleaning maf sensors. Did you try blocking off the egr valve with a busness card?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Mike . I will do today evening . Then let u know
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did try to disconnect mass air flow sensor , then started , rmp stay high. other thing you said it has funny reading , because in canada may be they use Lb not gallon. I did not time to slide card under egr because it will need more time to do that , need to open other things to go to the egr.when slide business card under the egr valve after that I need to start engine ? they what will happen ? what I need to watch?thanks
Sometimes erg valves stick open blocking it and running the car will tell us if its the cause. Just to clarify you replaced your throttle body after this code set? There is a buliten for this code setting AFTER throttle body replacement.
Advanced diagnostics
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
mike , this high idle are happening since last month . engine light and code came month ago .engine light came on one month ago too since high idle . I am try to fixing it since that . I checked all the vacuum lines for leak , no leak found . then I did clean throttle body , no luck . then I cleaned egr valve , no luck , then changed throttle body but no luck , then replaced new pcv valve and that hose, still no luck . this code was set since last month . when ever I work on it then every time cleared the code . but it coming back again . if you still want to do bussiness card under egr , then I can try sunday or monday . it is strange , I do not what is cause that run high idle . thanks