HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I want to replace the thermostat in my 2004 Honda Civic LX.

Customer Question

I want to replace the thermostat in my 2004 Honda Civic LX. Is it located where the upper radiator hose attaches to the engine block. Also, there's a large plastic component that I will need to remove to get access. What is this thing, and what precautions do I need to take in removing and re-installing this device.
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you noticed any leaks?
Customer: Recently the heater didn't warm up right away as it usually does. It warmed up near the top of a two mile uphill grade, but started cooling off on the down hill grade. This was to me a sign the thermostat was sticking. Then I notice the temperature gauge was rapidly raising, so I immediately moved to the highway shoulder, put the car in neutral, and turned off the engine. By keeping up my speed at about 50 mph on the down grade, the temperature started dropping. In about a half mile, I turned on the ignition and shifted into 4th gear and restarted the engine, which immediately started and ran fine to my destination. Later that day, I checked the overflow bottle and it was low, so I topped it off. Since then it has run fine, but my concern is that the thermostat is about to fail. The car has 274K miles, and the thermostat has never been replaced.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Honda
Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, please allow me a few minutes to get that procedure for you.

this video explains it better than any service manual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnnEQXrpspU