Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with tag on rear window Sulev.. The

Customer Question

Hi, My Name is Clem,
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with tag on rear window Sulev..
JA: Are you fixing your Civic Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The only things I have done are Change the Spark Plugs and the emmision sensor and have it checked for the code which is P1600
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last check the plugs?
Customer: Less than 71,000
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The IMA light keeps popping on all the time and I have been ressetting it right away as soon as that happens whichis variable and not the same amount of time between occurrences The car runs good and is a 5 speed Manual tranny
Category: Honda
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hello

IMA = Integrated Motor Assist, so basically there's an issue with the hybrid electrical system and due to the age of the vehicle its very likely to be a battery thats come to the end of its life

In the U.S., the average hybrid car battery lasts for six to 10 years. When your battery’s time is almost up then the IMA light will turn on.

so idelally the next step is to plug the car into a scan tool that can pull off the IMA code and so confirm if a new battery is the issue and if it is then there's a relatively new service offered by a few firms where the battery pack can be reconditioned and its useful life extended

so I'd next get in touch with a firm like:

http://www.hybridrevolt.com/catalog/