Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Can't get the auto trans shifter release button to go in to

Can't get the auto trans shifter release button to go in to move shifter from park

Good morning.

So the shifter is stuck in park?

Can you tell if your brake lights are working?

When you say release button, are you referring to the manual release mechanism in the shifter base?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the release button on the side of the shifter. one ya have to push in to move the shifter into gear
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is stuck in park
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you here?

Ok. So there is also a manual release slot that you can activate if the shifter gets stuck.

The shifter has an interlock feature that activates with the brake pedal. Can you tell if your brake lights are working?

If the brake lights aren't working then the switch in the shifter won't be activated to let the shifter move and you will either need to repair the problem with the brake light switch or activate the manual override switch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where is the manual override switch? I can't see brake lights from inside---lol

It's a little tricky to press the brake pedal and look at the back of the car at the same time ;-)

At the base of the shifter you will see a little slot. On some models the slot has a tiny plastic insert that you have to pry out. Other models the slot is open and is just big enough to insert a key.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yup, brake lights working

It should look like this:

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
gonna go chk
for slot

You will need to pry the little plastic tab out so that it exposes a slot big enough to insert the key or a thin flat screwdriver.

Insert a key and it will push down on a release lever allowing you to move the shifter.

If the brake lights are working then the problem is probably in the release solenoid under the shifter. They tend to get stuck or fail.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
found the release slot! cool, tyvm

So that will at least get you moving, but if you want to fix the problem you will need to remove the shifter assembly and figure out what failed. Is that something you want to tackle?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not now. trying to rate you on here, but dang thing won't show the stars----so, I fixed shifter/broke the site. rofl

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Please don't forget to rate- that's how Just Answer compensates us for our time.

Also, please don't forget to rate me response. That's how Just Answer compensates me for my time. I'll still be here for followup as needed.