Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

QUESTION}

Customer Question
QUESTION}
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I see you have a question about the brakes on your Hummer. What is the question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a 2003 Hummer H2. Front passenger brake will get stuck. It sticks to the point that the vehicle will not accelerate at all. After releasing the pressure by opening the bleeder valve, brake releases and I am able to drive & works fine for a few more miles. Some days it happens so often that it must be parked for a few hours. Almost like it has to cool off. Once happened when it was sitting idling in a parking space while running. (idling for 20 min). Also, brake will release after it sits turned off.I have changed the pads, rotors, lines, calipers & even the brake booster.
My question is.... What next?

I'm here. I believe that your issue will be due to a faulty ABS system, particularly the electronic brake control module(EBCM). This module electronically controls the braking in certain situations. It also has a hold feature, that holds the pressure on the brake(single wheel or more) in order to limit wheel slip.

Pressure Hold The EBCM closes the inlet valve and keeps the outlet valve closed in order to isolate the system when wheel slip occurs. This holds the pressure steady on the brake so that the hydraulic pressure does not increase or decrease. Pressure Decrease The EBCM decreases the pressure to individual wheels during a deceleration when wheel slip occurs. The inlet valve is closed and the outlet valve is opened. The excess fluid is stored in the accumulator until the return pump can return the fluid to the master cylinder. Pressure Increase The EBCM increases the pressure to individual wheels during a deceleration in order to reduce the speed of the wheel. The inlet valve is opened and the outlet valve is closed. The increased pressure is delivered from the master cylinder. Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP) The dynamic rear proportioning (DRP) is a control system that replaces the hydraulic proportioning function of the mechanical proportioning valve in the base brake system. The DRP control system is part of the operation software in the EBCM. The DRP uses active control with existing ABS in order to regulate the vehicle's rear brake pressure.

Here is a description of the system to give you a better understanding.

Here are the replacement procedures for this module.

I recommend replacing this module. This will likely be you issue. You should have this component inspected to verify.

The BPMV and the EBCM should be replaced together.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.