Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My Honda is honda civic 1.6 SE Some times I can open the car…

Customer Question
Hi my Honda is honda...
Hi my Honda is honda civic 1.6 SE Some times I can open the car with the key fob and all is fine, then some times it won't work, when it won't work the key will only open the driver's door and not release the others and I can't start the car, I have had the key and imobolizer checked out by 2 lock Smith's and when it all works all parts are talking to each other as they should. Need to know why it won't work sometimes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
3/24/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey vanessa how are you

PLEASE READ BELOW HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS FIRST & LET ME KNOW AND WE GO FROM THERE ?

DID THESE LOCK SMITH HAD A HONDA SCANNER OR EQUIVALENT TO READ THE FAULT CODE FROM THE ANTI-THEFT MODULE?

YOU MENTIONED THEY CHECKED THE KEY IMMOBILIZER ,YOU MEAN THEY CHECKED THE RF SIGNAL FROM IT AND TEST BATTERIES ?

2001 Honda Civic EX Sedan L4-1668cc 1.7L SOHC (VTEC) MFI

Save Article

Immobilizer System How the Circuit Works The immobilizer system is designed to prevent the car from being started without the owner's ignition key. If an attempt is made to start the car with any other key, the immobilizer system will disable the car's fuel supply. The immobilizer system consists of the ignition key, immobilizer control unit-receiver, immobilizer indicator light, PGM-FI main relays, injector relay (GX), fuel pump (except GX), fuel tank internal solenoid valve (GX), and the ECM/PCM. With the ignition switch in ON (II) or START (III), the immobilizer control unit-receiver and the ECM/PCM receive an "ignition on" signal through fuse 6 and the PGM-FI main relay 1. The ECM/PCM then sends power to the ignition key transponder through the immobilizer control unit-receiver. The transponder then sends a coded signal back to the ECM/PCM through the receiver. If the signal is correct, the ECM/PCM will energize the car's fuel supply system by grounding the PGM-FI main relay 2 (except GX) or injector relay (GX). The immobilizer indicator light flashes a code to indicate that the correct key has been inserted. If the ignition key signal is not correct, the ECM/PCM will not energize the car's fuel supply system by not grounding the PGM-FI main relay 2 (except GX) or injector relay (GX). The immobilizer indicator light then flashes a code to indicate that an incorrect key has been inserted.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13851)

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance on it

Please Read Below How Easy You Can get Back in Touch with Me For Any Follow Up Questions You May Have On This Issue

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am till Late Eastern Time Zone

Please Remember to Kindly Rate My Answer Using The Stars At Top of The Page

A 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

If You Are Using A Free Trial Or Have A Subscription A Positive Rating Of 3 Stars Or Above Is Required For Me To Be Compensated

For My Time & Resources .

Thank You
Chad Farhat