Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1991 Honda Civic DX hatchback. Head gasket repairs went

Hey Eric. 1991 Honda Civic...
Hey Eric. 1991 Honda Civic DX hatchback. Head gasket repairs went fine. Next project. Car has 254000 miles on it. I need to rebuild the suspension. Thought I would do the front end first. I wanted to replace upper and lower control arms,balljoints, tie rod ends etc. What companies are reputable for suspension parts? I see a ton of 150 or less complete front end rebuild kits on Ebay but have seen bad reviews on the quality. What would you do to rebuild the front suspension and where would you get the parts? Thanks
3/8/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, the only suspension and steering parts I use are MOOG. Been around forever and always quality parts that last. Best place to get them is RockAuto.com - while it may cost a bit more, they will last forever. I dont like the front end kits out there as they tend to be the lowest quality parts. They are fine if you are on a limited budget and just need to get a car back on the road for a short time, but for a long lasting repair, I stay away from them

For struts, go with KYB

I would replace the struts, outer tie rods, upper and lower control arms and balljoints, sway bar links.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I am going to replace the coil springs, too. I found Osaka Bane springs that are the stock spring height.(Don't want to lower the car.) Nobody else makes front spring in stock height that I could find. The upper and lower strut mounts are shot as well. Anything else I should look at?

HI,

The only other thing would be the front hubs and hub bearings. Check for play and if needed, I would go with Timken. They are the best in the business and make 90% of the hub bearings for auto manufacturers worldwide

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager