Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1991 honda civic dx 1.5L. Replaced Head Gasket. All buttoned…

Hey Eric. 1991 honda civic...
Hey Eric. 1991 honda civic dx 1.5L. Replaced Head Gasket. All buttoned up. no leaks. Oil seal and camshaft seal OEM and tight. New problem. Cranks fine. Witin 15 seconds engine light comes on and engine starts to surge. After engine gets warm dashpot starts to surge with engine and it gets worse. Can't find any vacuum leaks. If you drive the car it runs fine as long as you are accelerating or cruising. As soon as you take your foot off the gas it starts surging again. Bad. About every 3 seconds goes to 200 rpm then drops back to 800 then back. over and over. Can't read codes for engine because none of the auto parts stores have a reader old enough to interface with the car. any ideas?
2/24/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, we need to get the fault codes first, which a scan tool is not needed. I have attached the directions to retrieve the codes. Do this and let me know what you get

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Codes 1 oxygen content and 14 electronic air control

HI,

Ok, code1 is for the O2 sensor and 14 for the EACV, either of which will cause the surging.

For the code 1, first crank engine over a couple of times and then remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator. IF fuel pours out, replace the fuel pressure regulator.

If ok, do the testing as outlined in the attached directions.

For code 14 do the testing in attached directions for the EACV

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuel Pressure Regulator is bad. I am replacing it. After that do I follow the test procedures for O2 sensor and EACV?

HI,

erase the codes and see if either come back. The O2 sensor code should not, but the EACV may, but I wouldnt do the test until you replace the regulator, erase codes and test drive

1991 Honda Civic Sedan L4-1493cc 1.5L SOHC (D15B2) TBI
save-icon.png Save Article

TO CLEAR FAULT CODES FROM THE ECU:

- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Remove the HAZARD fuse from the main fuse box.
- Wait 10 seconds for the ECU to clear it`s memory, and reinstall the HAZARD fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do. It'll take a day or two. Have to order regulator.

Ok, sounds good.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Eric. Replaced the fuel regulator. Erased codes. O2 went away. EACV(14) came back. Car still surges but not as bad. My mechanic did not test drive it yet. I read online that after you reset the ECU the car must "relearn" idle. Do you have a procedure for that? Does it apply to my car? If EACV is bad do you know of a source of new or rebuilt ones? I have not been able to find them online or locally. Thanks

HI,

There is not an idle relearn procedure for this year Civic. That is only on the 1999 and newer ones.

Autozone carries the EACV

http://www.autozone.com/engine-management/idle-air-control-valve?filterByKeyWord=idle+air+control&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false&model=control