justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

2HGES16584H623880

2HGES16584H623880

just curious, when were the O2 sensors replaced? Also, what brand O2 sensors were used (where purchased)? Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maybe 9-12 months ago, when we did all the major repairs/maintenance. We bought them from Honda.
Can you please tell me if this engine has an EGR valve?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I does, but not sure if it's been replaced. I'd have to ask my dad (aka mechanic). I'm not sure if it matters, but this hiccuping issue happen intermittently. Only when I've been driving for at least 20 minutes at freeway speeds. It's only turn the CEL on once and we ran the code and it came up with P0339. The research I did showed the crank position sensor, but it has been replaced about 3 months prior. The research also said to check the battery and alternator. We replaced the battery, although I haven't had any starting issues outside of when the crank position sensor went bad. My headlights dim and pulsate when driving, but not sure if that is relevant. We haven't checked the alternator yet. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I can't imagine that a bad, or going bad, alternator would be intermittent and only cause a hiccuping while driving. I've also been told that it could be a coil pack going, but correct me if I'm wrong, but don't things like that either work or not work? The intermittent, no constant CEL thing has me and everyone I've talked to completely puzzled.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Typo: I does = It does.
Was the crank sensor replaced in attempt to fix the issue you're having now? Can you be specific about where the sensor was purchased? I basically need to know if these are factory replacements parts or aftermarket. It is very important to know. I am a Honda/Acura service technician of 10 years so I know the brand well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, the crank position sensor was replaced because I had a hot start issue. My car would start fine in the morning or after sitting for a couple of hours, but if I drove to the market or reached SOT, turned the car off and then tried to restart it would only turn over, never start. Replacing it corrected the issue. All sensors and electronic parts are always purchased from Honda. We don't like buying those sort of parts aftermarket. We even purchased the head gasket and water pump from Honda. I believe the radiator, hoses and exhaust manifold are aftermarket.

I would check the EGR system for clogging. I would also check the EGR valve. If you have a scanner I would hook it up and check the EGR valve voltage. At idle it should be around 1.10 volts. Let me know the voltage and I can tell you if I think it could be an issue. I think the ports could be partially clogged causing an intermittent misfire also.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had to have my dad help me with all of this and coordinating getting together is difficult sometimes. Per my dad, nothing is clogged although he doesn't have a scanner so we couldn't check voltage. I may have mentioned this, but if not... the hiccuping/lurching/misfire, whatever we want to call it, happens only while on the freeway at around 70 mph, never on the streets. I can drive around all day long on the streets without an issue, but then get on the freeway and within 10-20 minutes of driving I get random hiccups. Sometimes they are strong, where I get startled and other times they are gentle and I barely feel it. Another thing, it doesn't happen every time I'm on the freeway. I drive to work about 12 miles one way and sometimes it jumps all the way to work and other days, not a peep. I still have no CEL except one time when my husband drove over 100 miles. It lurched every few seconds then entire drive, but never stalled. The CEL comes back with a Crank Position Sensor code, but that sensor is brand new direct from the dealer. Could I have a faulty sensor? Does that happen often? I've also been told that the coil packs could be going bad. I seriously wish there was a machine that I could hook up to my car and it could just tell me what to fix without guessing. I can't believe the dealer won't even see the car without a CEL lit and when they do it will cost me $125.00 just to hook it up. Forgive me if I've repeated myself at any time. I'm really hoping with your expertise we can get this solved. For having 211,000 miles on it, it's a really good car!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hope I didn't close our session by providing a rating. I'd like to continue working with you on a resolution. I'm new to this and may have screwed up... oops!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One more new development, not sure it's even related, but when locking or unlocking my car, the factory car alarm doesn't always make the "beep" noise. Sometimes I have to press the key button twice to make it do the really loud "beep" to make sure it locked. The doors always respond by locking or unlocking, but the sound doesn't always work. Probably not even related, but thought I'd share.

Yeah, the door locking issue is not going to be related. Let me do a little more digging and get back with you in the morning.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi! Just wanted to check in. I have another new (newly noticed) symptom. Today I had to pass someone on the freeway, so I put my foot into it... basically "floored it" for lack of a better description and my car did the hiccup thing. It did not die, but it didn't gain speed as quickly as normal and sputtered the entire time I had my foot in it. Still no check engine lights. As soon as I eased off the throttle, it stopped with the sputtering thing. Hope this can shed some light on what the issue could potentially be. I really appreciate your time and help!!