Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I get code P0171,

I get code P0171,
1/10/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

This is the Trouble shoot steps needed to solve the check engine light with fault code # P0171

2005 Honda Accord L4-2.4L

Save Article

DTC P0171: Fuel System Too Lean NOTE: If some of the DTCs listed below are indicated at the same time as DTC P0171 and/or P0172, troubleshoot those DTCs first, then recheck for P0171 and/or P0172. P0107, P0108, P1128, P1129: Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor P0133, P1172 (2005 model), P1157, P2195, P2238, P2252, P2A00: Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor (Sensor 1) P0134, P0135: Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor (Sensor 1) heater P0137, P0138, P0139, P2270 (2005 model), P2271 (2005 model): Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2) P0141: Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2) heater P2646, P2647, P2648, P2649: VTEC system P0401, P0404, P0406, P2413: Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system P2279: Intake air leakage (2003-2004 except SULEV, LX-P models) P0443, P0496: EVAP canister purge valve (2003-2004 SULEV, LX-P models and 2005 model) 1. Check the fuel pressure. Is the fuel pressure OK? YES - 2003-2004 SULEV, LX-P models and 2005 model: Go to step 2. - 2003-2004 except SULEV, LX-P models: Check the engine valve clearances and adjust if necessary. If the valve clearances are OK, replace the injectors, then go to step 7. NO - If the pressure is too high, replace the fuel pressure regulator, then go to step 7. - If the pressure is too low, check the fuel pump and the fuel feed line. Then go to step 7. 2. Check these parts for vacuum leaks: - PCV valve - PCV hose - EVAP canister purge valve - Throttle body - Intake manifold - Brake booster hose Are the parts OK? YES - Go to step 3. NO - Repair or replace parts with leaks, then go to step 7. 3. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle. 4. Check for these conditions: - Engine coolant temperature more than 176 °F (80 °C) - Transmission in neutral (A/T in Park or neutral) - All electric load off 5. Monitor the ENG SPD in the DATA LIST with the HDS, and hold the engine speed at 4,500 rpm. Once the engine speed is met, hold the accelerator pedal steady for more than 10 seconds. Did the engine speed vary more than 100 rpm from 4,500 rpm? YES - Repeat step 5. NO - Go to step 6. 6. While holding the engine speed at 4,500 rpm, check the MAF SENSOR in the DATA LIST with the HDS. Is there about 14 - 20 gm/s? YES - Check the engine valve clearances and adjust if necessary. If the valve clearances are OK, replace the injectors, then go to step 7. NO - Replace the MAF/IAT sensor, then go to step 7. 7. Turn the ignition switch ON (II). 8. Reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS. 9. Do the ECM/PCM idle learn procedure. See: Engine Control Module > Programming and Relearning 10. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle. 11. Test-drive under these conditions: - Engine coolant temperature more than 176 °F (80 °C) - Transmission in neutral (A/T in Park or neutral) - All electric loads off NOTE: DTC P0171 and/or P0172 may take up to 40 minutes of test driving to set. Using the HDS, monitor the long term fuel trim (LT FUEL TRIM) or air fuel feed back AVE (AF FB AVG) for 15 minutes while driving. If the fuel trim/AF AVG stays within 10% of 1.0% (0.0%), there is no problem at this time. 12. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated? YES - If DTC P0171 or P0172 is indicated, go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting. NO - Troubleshooting is complete.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Hi, just checking in ,to see how things are going,Do you need further assistance ?

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat

Thank You For The Rating & Bonus :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat