Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I installed new headlights in my 2012 Honda Civic si and

Customer Question
there is an LED strip...
I installed new headlights in my 2012 Honda Civic si and there is an LED strip in the headlight. I'm not sure how to wire that up right. I've been told wire it to the parking light. Not sure where that is.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: The headlights are working. They are spec d projector headlights. The strip is around the lights.
JA: Are you fixing your Civic Si yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am doing it on my own. I followed a step by step video and had success. Sadly, the video didn't now explain how to hook the LED portion up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Just need to know how to splice these wires and get them connected to the proper fuse. I've looked at the manual and not sure which one to do. Also, what do I do to make the wires from the headlight longer? My drivers side headlight should be able to reach but the passenger side won't reach
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
1/8/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

on your original Civic headlight there should be a main headlamp bulb and a dip headlamp bulb and then a small sidelight or parking light of 5W or similar

its this small light wiring that you want to wire to the new LED strip , the only thing to be aware of with LED's is that they are polarised, so have to be connected the right way round to work

so the positive feed from the side light has to go to the positve on the LED

as to extending the wiring then I'd 1st trace the wiring loom back into the car / chassis side a little to see if you can release a point where its been tied down / restrained and so remove that restraint to provide some movement and a little extra length

if this won't be sufficient then its a case of getting a soldering iron out and some heatshrink insulation to splice in an extra 6" or so of wire

this video may be of help

http://www.instructables.com/id/Soldering-Tutorial-Inline-Splicing/

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer