Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

2000 v6 accord, have a few things going on, driving home and

Customer Question

2000 v6 accord, have a few things going on, driving home and the tach, speedometer and gas gauge all were going out needles at zero with no movement and the battery light would come on. everything kept going and I drove home but this would go off and on all the way home. it would work fine then the batterlight woudl come on and teh gauges went out, would stay like that 30 seconds or so then come back on. radio and heater kept on the whole time, what is going on with it? also, at some point the sun roof kinda stopped working, can get it open but not shut what might be wrong there? thanks
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

Your detailed description sounds like the alternator is intermittently not charging. it's a very common problem with this generation of Accord more so with the V6 engines.

The gauges and actually any electrical device will act weird when the system voltage drops low enough. I would have the alternator tested and make sure the belt is not slipping. Most likely the alternator brushes are worn out. I have heard them make a high pitchers noise when they go bad too. Just to warn you it might test OK if it's not in a failed mode like you experienced. It might take a few tries to confirm it's bad.

Please reply if you need more help so we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the page before exiting the site. Rating does not close out your question or cost extra. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer possible.
Thank you!
~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK I was thinking i might just replace the alternator as it looks original. what do you think about the sunroof? is there any fuses on it i should check or do you have other advice? I am leaving for the day will check back tomorrow and finish up thank you.

Thanks for the reply. I would replace the alternator too, it's so common plus yours shows all the signs. Does the sunroof make noise when trying to close?