Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

When turning my car on a key light is flashing. How do I get

Customer Question

When turning my car on a green key light is flashing. How do I get a brake code?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Honda Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's in park. I'm not sure about wheel lock how would I know this?
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2010 Honda Accord
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to see if this is something that can be fixed outside of the dealership. I'm pretty positive the key lost its programming. I tried replacing the key battery and restarting the car multiple times.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there anyway the key can be reprogrammed outside of the dealership?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Make sure your vehicles battery is charged as low voltage can cause this here.If it is o.k. and this occurred suddenly with the key being used it is very possible the key has failed and needs replaced.I have also seen the immobilizer that reads the key fail and cause this issue as well here.

Unfortunately I do not see a way myself to try and reprogram this to operate in your model here manually.I suspect a component has failed though and you will need to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your model to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed to help locate the issue here,then the faulty component replaced and the immobilizer reprogrammed by a dealer.

One other thing you can try is to lock and unlock the vehicle with the key/remote and try and start it but if this does not work then this will have to be diagnosed and repaired then reprogrammed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete