sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 03 civic lx, with a stock d17a1 in it, car ran

Customer Question

i have a 03 civic lx, with a stock d17a1 in it, car ran fine. i parked it 3 months ago, took out th battery, i bougth a brand new battery for this winter installed it just barely and my car is just cranking over, and isnt firing.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: yes 13.5 its a brand new yellow top optima battery,,it sounds strong cranking, just not firing
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am working on it myself, my dad owns a garage so ive allays done my own work, i can hear the fuel pump engages when i turn my key so i believe is getting fuel i tried to spray a quick spray of ethor into the intake but sttill just cranks over
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just tryign to figure out why it ran 3 months ago and now it wont start with a brand new battery
Category: Honda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that will cause a no start condition and it will take some testing to determine what is going on. If it won't run on starting fluid then you could be missing spark, it could be a cam timing issue or possibly an exhaust restriction.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see if there are any fault codes setting, anything causing a loss of spark should set a code and that would give a starting point for testing.

Have you checked for codes?