Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

Power steering leak from high pressure line. Causing to

Customer Question

Power steering leak from high pressure line. Causing to smoke from back of engine. V6 99 accord
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: We've used stop leak within a few days and the level still drops. And yes. Loud noise. I'm worried this may cause a fire before we could make it to a shop.
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just the stop leak at this point. I'm pretty sure I've located the leak. It's at the highest point of the high pressure hose where the metal tubing meets the rubber hose. Would I be able to detach the hose, cut the area that's cracked, and reattach?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live in covington ky and cash is low
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

That high pressure hose could have 200psi of pressure in it and you will not be able to cut and reattach it.

You would be better off removing the power steering belt and drive it that way until you can get it fixed. If you do not have the tools or ability to remove the belts needed to get to the power steering belt you could just cut it off.

I hope this helps you.