Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Antifreeze

Customer Question
Antifreeze
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Losing coolant...
2004 Honda Civic DX 4dr auto/air approx 145k milesAfter a head gasket change and machine work done on head a couple thousand miles ago, we're loseing coolant again.Fans cycle normally
Interior heat works
Tested for hydrocarbon in coolent (negative)
No excessive pressure in hoses not rock hard after driving
No puddles under car
No visible leaks under hood
No white smoke/steam from tail pipe
New radiator cap
Getting a small amount of gray gunk on underside of cap
Flushed system
No signs of antifreeze in oil
Can lose up to approx a pint in 2 daysWhat did we miss??Steve
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/2/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

A cooling system pressure pump needs to be used to see if it leaks down the pressure over a 30 minute period. If there is an external leak, this will help you find it. If there is no external leak and you do lose pressure then your going to a misfire on startup from coolant getting into the combustion chamber through a warped or crack head, or from a head gasket weak. The coolant is going somewhere we just have to figure out if its being lost internal or external.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thx...
I'll run this test this morning and get back to you!
Any idea what the max pressure is on this system?thx
Steve

It is written on the coolant cap. I show 18 psi max.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello ChrisTried to do a pressure test, but found that the system would not hold pressure because of a leak at the neck.
It appears that something had eaten at the inner plastic ring that the rubber washer in the cap makes a seal with when you tighten the cap on.
I'm trying to figure out what could have eaten away at it..
The radiator was less than a year old, installed just before the head gasket was replaced.
I'm wondering if the gases or oil possibly in the coolant or over heating could have caused it.
I didn't see this problem anywhere else than the filler neck.Have you ever seen this?So we replaced the radiator today and it seems to be doing fine (fingers crossed) I'm thinking of trying the pressure test again, to make sure this was the problem and there are no other leaks!Attached is a photo....Thx
Steve

That looks like at some point there was something in the coolant other than just coolant like oil or gas. Glad I could help and thanks for leaving me a rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey MooseWas just able to do the pressure test the system yesterday. It lost 2lbs over 30 mins.
Is this something to be concerned about?S

This post has timed out. I am not allowed to post an answer only info requests. Once the posted is rated and back active I can then post answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to pay you and give you a rating before you finish the job? I never closed this the problem still exists.S

We are only given 7 days to get a post rated.

I can opt out if you want since you were not pleased with my assistance.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician