Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Ima and engine light going on but no p-codes found anywhere.

Customer Question
Ima and engine light...

Ima and engine light going on but no p-codes found anywhere

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle been scanned for codes?

Yes, no codes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2007 civic hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked transmission fluid. added 1 quart

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
10/27/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the scan tool/code reader that is being used is not one that is fully compatible with this model to read all computers then no codes may show up and a different scan tool will be needed to read out fault codes.If you have not tried a different scan tool this should be done to see if any codes are set needing diagnosed and repaired.If this was already done and no codes are set let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My mechanic could not extract any codes with his Snap-On device, which he assures me is compatible with Honda. The car is almost ten years old and no one in all these years has had this problem? Nothing? Honda has always been notorious regarding not sharing technical bulletins.

I dont see any bulletins myself on this here for this issue of these lights coming on with no codes set or recall any common faults with this here.Check the engine computer data list to see if it says it has commanded the check engine light on with the engine running.If it says no ,this can indicate in allot of cases that this is an issue with the instrument cluster itself.I have seen the circuit board fail/short out internally on several models causing the lights to come on for no reason causing this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It turns out the engine oil level was just touching the bottom of the dipstick. I added oil today. My wife told me the IMA light followed by the Engine light came on subsequent to a rapid braking move on the freeway due to a traffic slowdown. If the engine oil sloshes forward and starves the oil pump pickup causing a low oil warning will this explain the IMA and engine light?

Yes for sure.this would cause low oil pressure and this can cause the lights here.If there are no codes set see if since the oil is topped off driving the vehicle for a day or 2 if the lights then turn off.But yes,low oil will cause this issue here.