Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I've got a 96 accord 2.2 v tec problem Is it won't start at

Customer Question
Hi I've got a 96...
Hi I've got a 96 accord 2.2 v tec problem Is it won't start at all unless the d4 light comes on
Ign switch is new the brake lights work but when this happens the shift interlock is energized Soo you don't have to step on the brake to move the shifter
This prob happened about 6 months ago then was starting fine and last week it wouldn't start again now it won't start at all
Don't know we're to go from here
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
10/25/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

I have seen this exact problem in the shop and here online. Your Accord has a transmission control module(TCM) along with a engine control module(ECM). Newer cars have a all in one unit. The TCM fails causing your problem. Basically it shorts out inside. A used TCM or repairing yours is what is needed to fix your problem.

If yours does not use a TCM, early 96 accords do later ones use a all in one unit called a PCM. It fails in basically the same way. Your 96 does not have an immobilizer system so all you need to do is plug in the replacement unit. Plug and play so to speak.

Thank you, ***** ***** have any questions feel free to ask.

Honda-Man

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last night I plugged back in my pcm after it has been unplugged for 3 days after a few seconds the d4 light lit up and it started and for about 10 times after if u let it sit for any amount of time it took a little bit but it would start
Now you say it the tsm part of the pcm Soo that will cause it to also shift weird

Sorry for the delay. Yes your 4cyl should have just one control unit called a PCM. It has both engine and transmission control units in one unit. When they fail it can cause shifting issues like starting off in a high gear like second or third. It feels like you have no power or bogs down. Along with that it can not start and can have shift lock issues. Sometimes if you remove the PCM cover you can smell burnt electronics or see where the circuit board is fried. Sometimes there is a code stored for PCM to TCM internal communication failure. Your symptoms match what I have seen before when the PCM fails.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to pay me.
Thank you,

~Cliff

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did in fact remove the covers on the pcm and didn't visually see anything fried nor did I smell anything the pcm is 500. Bucks
I just don't want to get a pcm and it not fix it

You can save a bunch with a used one. On ebay they go from $19.95 up to about $100. Your local wrecking yard could find one if they don't have one in stock. You can leave it installed or just use it to confirm the problem.

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic