Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2000 crv Started out with battery light on intermittently.

Customer Question
Sometimes it would go off...
2000 crv Started out with battery light on intermittently. Sometimes it would go off when I turned a corner. Stopped in at Advance and they checked it with the hand held device and said battery and alt were reading okay, but since it was an now and then problem, I wasn't sure. One night I thought my headlights were varying in intensity. Next day, I noticed A/C not cold. Rolled the window down, then it didn't want to go up more than 1/3 the way, like not enough power. Turned on my blinker to turn and the speedometer and tach dropped to zero. Blinker off, they were okay. Drove it to work, forty mile drive-half way home, notice headlights are dimming. Two miles from home, car was dying, finally quit. Someone gave me jump start to get me home. My mechanic came out the next day and said the battery was not charging enough, thought it was the alternator, but he tightened connections and the gauge showed good charging. He said to drive it around town and see how it did. Two days later I finally had time and I started it, and the battery light is on again. I am getting ready to order and alternator.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Bulbs for the headlights? They are new. Everything isn't dead, they come and go. Would fuses cause the battery light to come on?
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I have a mechanic who does some work for me. Nothing has been done other than him tightening connections, which improved the situation, but apparently didn't fix it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much does this conversation cost?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Not sure of the exact price? What's it based on?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
10/24/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Edward, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Have you checked the voltage while this problem is occuring? It does sound like to me the system voltage at the time of this problem is low and getting lower as you drive, All of your systems point to this, as when you load the electrical system more, things shut off. An alternator can sometimes intermittently charge, they can go in and out when the brushes get so worn they start to make occasional contact. Is this the original alternator? thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the original alternator. Marty (my mechanic) checked the voltage the next day after someone had given me a jump start to get me home. It wasn't charging properly. On the outside chance it was a connection and not the alt. itself, he tightened all connections and the charging improved. He said for me to drive it around town and see how it did. This a.m. started the car with the intent of doing that. Battery light was on so I didn't bother. Reving the engine made the battery light go out, but it came back on. Not gonna attempt to drive it at this time.

Yes, I feel confident that a new alternator will repair your issue there. Being the alternator has never been replaced before, it would be consistent with age that it is likely your problem, It is what I would replace if it were my car. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Hello, thought I would follow up with you. Did you get the alternator replaced? Is the vehicle running well now? thanks.

Edward
Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician