Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Same thing as the thread I'm in after 2-3 hours the ac stops

Customer Question
blowing air JA: Have you checked...
same thing as the thread I'm in after 2-3 hours the ac stops blowing air
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: the ac is working but the air just stops getting blown out then i turn off for 1 hour and it works again just fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2006 4 door lx
JA: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, having tried anything, just talked to a couple people 1 says it could be the ac clutch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: another says maybe blower motor no that's it thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

Hello, so does the air flow stop like the fan was shut off or does it just quit cooling like the A/C was shut off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the air almost completely stops flowing and it gets a little warmer. The sound of the AC remains unchanged. it is still on but the air just stops. I turn it off for 30 min-1 hr and it comes back like normal

OK so it's a air flow problem then. If the fan slows down it's most likely a fan motor problem. What model is your Honda? Accord, Civic?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2006 civic. yeah the sound doesn't change, I still hear the ac like it's on, but the air almost completely stops coming out and what little air does come out is warmer. then i turn off the car for 30 min-1hr and it works again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this only happens after 2 hours of driving
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
very similar to this guy's problem http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/9889bef3200f422db345af67ded9dddb

Thanks, ***** ***** that problem ended up being an A/C performance issue not a fan problem. Let me have a look at my Honda tech site for related info.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sounds good, will stand by

Another question, the fan sounds like it's working normally but the air flow is greatly reduced?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fan/motor sounds exactly the same as when the ac is on and it is working fine - just after a couple of hours the air stops blowing out - sounds like it is working but little to no air coming out

Now I know what is wrong. The compressor is not cycling on and off like it should. The fans will be but the compressor is stuck on. This causes the A/C evaporator to freeze up. Moisture in the air usually sticks to the evaporator and drains out the drain tube on the ground. If the compressor stays on the moisture freezes on the evaporator restricting air flow. After sitting it thaws out and works again.

There are 2 things that will cause this. The compressor relay or the inside thermostat. Most of the time it's the compressor relay probably 90% of the time. It can also cause the battery to drain if it sticks on after the engine is shut off like overnight or after a few days.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great! - what do I do to fix it?

The relay is a dealer part and should be under $20. I have included the relay location in the under-hood fuse box. It just pulls out and the new one plugs right in.

There are 3 possible relay's depending on where your Civic was made. Canada, US, or Japan. The dealer will need your VIN to look up the correct relay.

Thank you, ***** ***** have any other questions feel free to ask. Please rate or accept my answer so the site will credit me.

~Cliff

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic