Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

01 Honda Civic won't move in any gear

Customer Question

01 Honda Civic won't move in any gear
Category: Honda
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. What have you tried so far? Is this an automatic or standard trans mission?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Auto and I jacked the wheels off the ground and put it in drive and I got out turned the wheels by hand then they spin on there own after that I gave it some throttle and they worked fine. Put when it's on the ground the car won't move
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What do you think it is

sounds like slippage , have you checked the fluid level while running? How long since the transmission fluid was replaced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Probably never been changed and yes checked fluid while it was running

ouch never replaced? ok lets check the fluid condition, Ill give you a chart to see where your fluid falls in and if it smells burnt as well. If it falls in the darker ones then drop the transmission pan to see if there are any particles there .If any of these are present then the transmission probably needs O/H or replaced.The other thing you can do to further diagnose this is have a shop do a pressure test on the trans mission. But if it fails the first two and hasen't had the fluid replaced most likely it's pooched.You can as a last resort replace the fluid but thats a shot in the dark. Hope this gives you some direction where to go to solve your problem and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks it all start while the guy was driving and he said he gave it gas and didn't go no where

that don't sound too good but if you do those checks as I described I'm positive you will find the problem and solution. I will be interested in hearing what the results you find on these checks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I'll report back to ya

very good

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
O sorry to mention that the check engine light came on with code p0730

P0730 - OBD-II Trouble Code

OBD II Fault Code

• OBD II P0730

Fault Code Definition

• Transmission Control System Malfunction

What does this mean?

The purpose of the automatic transmission is to match the engine's optimum power and torque characteristics to the driver's desired rate of acceleration and speed by auto-selecting different gear ratios or 'speeds' to power the wheels.

Code P0730 means that the Power-train Computer or PCM is seeing greater than a specified RPM difference between the rotational speed of the Input RPM Sensor and the Transmission Output RPM Sensor. This can occur during shifting or when driving at steady speeds in the same gear. It often implies that the transmission is slipping.

Symptoms

• Check Engine Light will illuminate
  • Vehicle will not shift properly
  • Decrease in fuel economy
  • In unusual cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver
  • In some cases, there may be performance problems, such as dying when coming to a stop after driving on the freeway and/or misfire-like symptoms

Common Problems That Trigger the P0730 Code

• Defective Shift Solenoids
  • Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
  • Defective Valve Body
  • Dirty transmission fluid that restricts the hydraulic passages

Common Misdiagnoses

• Engine Misfire problem
  • Internal Transmission problem
  • Driveline problem

Polluting Gases Expelled

• HCs (Hydrocarbons): Unburned droplets of raw fuel that smell, affect breathing, and contribute to smog
  • CO (Carbon Monoxide): Partially burned fuel that is an odorless and deadly poisonous gas
  • NOX (Oxides of Nitrogen): One of the two ingredients that, when exposed to sunlight, cause smog

P0730 Diagnostic Theory for Shops and Technicians
When diagnosing a P0730 code, it is important to record the freeze frame information and then to duplicate the code setting conditions with a test drive. Pay close attention to the engine load, throttle position, RPM, and road speed and compare the Output RPM Speed Sensor signal to the Input RPM Speed Sensor signal. If the input RPM signal varies a lot when you're traveling at a steady road speed and throttle position, then you may have verified the P0730 code setting condition. In other words that code is just confirming my previous diagnoses of slippage and may need to be either rebuilt or replaced you have that option of a manufactured one or used one, but if you choose a used one try for the lowest mileage one you can find and do a fluid flush on it right away. Have a trans shop confirm my suspicions then make your choice to fix your vehicle or find another. Keep in min it's age and mileage to make a good and wise decision. Hope this helps you make up your mind and in the future regular maintenance and fluid changes can prolong the life of you vehicle. Good luck.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
U think the ect would cause this problem or transmission is shot

if that fluid hasn't bin changed that long and no movement I suspect the transmission ,Two quick checks you can do is check the fluid as I mentioned and to drop the transmission pan to check for particles. Rarely the Ecu unit cause this .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have no power to the shift solenoid

Then you may have a bad neutral safety switch and count your blessings have that checked out it will be at the end of the shift cable right where it goes into the transmission, it's the little black thing with wires coming out of it.so did they say the transmission had good pressure?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No not yet I'll have to take to shop this week and have that done

Let me know and if you need any further assistance.