Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1997 Honda Accord 2.2 engine that I am not getting

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Honda Accord 2.2 engine that I am not getting the trigger signal from the ECM to the ICM. I have replaced the distributor and I am getting rpm's on my Genisys. What would cause this?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay what would cause it
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like crank sensor is ok. The pcm could be the problem. Do you have a wiring diagram for the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we tried a different pcm last night out of a different car that was a manual verses a automatic and it still would not start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pcm was from a used car and I am unsure if the pcm was good or not. A remand pcm is expesive I wanted to make sure it was bad before I bought one.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Here is what I am looking at. The tach runs off the distributor. I would look at replacing the crank sensor on this.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The ICM feeds the tach, the Crank sensor is separate.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I replaced the distributor it had a new crank sensor and icm in it. If the crank sensor was bad would it not give me rpm's on the plug in Genisys
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

According to the diagram I sent you there is a CYP sensor in the distributor and another Crank sensor to the left on the diagram.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR /TOP DEAD CENTER (CKP/TDC) SENSOR

NOTE: Before disconnecting battery or removing radio fuse, obtain anti-theft code for radio. After battery is reconnected, CODE will appear on radio display. Enter 5-digit code to restore radio operation. If code is entered wrong 3 times, leave radio on at least one hour, then enter code correctly. Any time radio power is lost, pre-selected radio stations will have to be set. For more information, see owners manual.

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect negative battery cable, then the positive cable. Remove left front wheel and splash shield. Remove accessory drive belts. Remove dipstick and tube. Remove cylinder head cover. Remove crankshaft pulley.
  2. Remove rubber seal from timing belt adjusting nut. Remove upper and lower timing belt covers. Ensure timing belt pulley TDC marks and pointers are aligned. Ensure front and rear balancer shaft grooves align with pointers. Lock timing belt adjuster arm in position by installing a 6 x 1.0 mm bolt next to timing balancer belt tensioner.
  3. Loosen timing balancer belt tensioner adjusting nut 2/3-1 turn until balancer belt move freely. Push tensioner up and release balancer belt tension and retighten adjusting nut. Remove balancer belt and balancer belt drive pulley. Disconnect CKP/TDC sensors connector and remove CKP/TDC sensors.
  4. To install, reverse removal procedures. Ensure timing belt pulley TDC marks and pointers are aligned. Ensure front and rear balancer shaft grooves align with pointers. Remove 6 x 1.0 mm bolt. Tighten retaining nuts and bolts to specification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay it may be tomorrow before I can replace them. I there a way to test these sensors
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

There is a way to test, you need a scope or a meter that can read in hz.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon the CKP/TDC sensor did not fix the no spark problem
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Have you verified ignition timing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have no spark from the coil
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If you ground the coil do you get spark?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have 12 volts to the coil?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

12 volts while cranking at the coil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have spark at the coil when I ground it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting a ground trigger signal from the ECM
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Is the wire open between the ICM and PCM. check the Yellow/green wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not open
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked continuity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the CYP sensor with a meter set to hz?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting rpm's on a Genisys
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Have you replaced the ICM yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the whole distributor
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible that something you already replaced could also be bad?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

This is hard for me to help diagnose without being there. It sounds like you checked everything that I would have checked and replaced. The pcm you tried was for a manual trans. I would try one for an auto.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night when I checked the ICM everything checked good but I was not getting a trigger signal from the ECM
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I would try another ecm just to be sure.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am some what displeased with the service I received. I was looking for a more in depth answer on how to troubleshoot what was wrong than just replace parts. I could have replaced the parts myself without paying someone else to tell me to replace this or that
I was hoping to get more of a troubleshooting that if you check here and don't get this then you need to replace it not just try replacing this part
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If you had a code number, I could give you steps from the service manual that will be more specific with diagnosing your problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not here to attack you or your years as a mechanic but as I said I was looking more for specific test to rule if the part was good or not.If I had a code I could troubleshoot it myself.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I will open this back up to others, I will not be able to help without being there. Please do not reply to this as it will lock it back to me and others will not be able to view it.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Different expert here.

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

If so, we can continue and call me when you have time to talk.

Let me know