Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have a 2001 Honda Civic with a 1.7 in it with a new fuel

Customer Question
pump when I go to...
I have a 2001 Honda Civic with a 1.7 in it with a new fuel pump when I go to start it it won't fire up unless I cycle the fuel pump a couple times it will fire right up
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
9/24/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

this sounds like the new pump may not be getting full power? so I'd start by by checking the wiring, fuse and relay for the fuel pump for any corroded joints or damaged wiring

if this is OK then try loosening off the fuel filler cap as if the 1 way valve in the filler cap is faulty then you may be generating a vacuum inside the tank which can then stall the pump

if this helps then replace the cap

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With the cap off dose not a difference once it starts it runs great

Hello

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer