Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Someone tried to steal it, and the entire ignition switch is

Customer Question
torn out JA: Has the car...
Someone tried to steal it, and the entire ignition switch is torn out
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: The steering column is ripped out *
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1994 Honda Accord
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have no clue what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
9/24/2016
Mechanic for Honda: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Is there a chance you can upload some photos of the damage?

Yeah. Have to look at them.

Looks like the ignition switch was taken or broken off. The switch mounts on the side there on the back side of where the key goes in. Does it look like the wiring is actually damaged?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The place where the key goes in is totally broken off.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or i should say pulled completely out

Ok. At this point it appears you will need to get a replacement steering column with a new ignition switch and key cylinder housing. The best bet would be from a junk yard that would probably come with a housing and switch. Your other option is to call your insurance company and see if they can have it fixed. You may have a deductable.

I meant to say earlier where the housing and switch mount to the column are broken, so you can not bolt on new ones to get a replacement column. Otherwise if you can bolt on a new housing and switch you may be able to just replace those.

Do you have any more questions on this? If not then rate my assistance today and then you can bookmark this chat and come back for any follow up questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The ignition specialist said 400$ is that right?

All pricing is different but That sounds really reasonable.

THanks for viewing my response on 9/26/2016 at 6:50:02 PM 23 hr(s) 14 minute(s) ago. Unless you have more questions regarding this, please rate the service provided to assist in closing out the question. Thank you.

Please rate the assistance provided to help close out this question if you are all set. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me assist you. Unless you have any more questions on this, rate the service provided to help close out the question. Thank you.

HI. Any reason you are not rating this question so we can close it out?

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician