Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Head gasket 04 element ,can it be changed without removing…

Customer Question
Head gasket 04 element...

Head gasket 04 element ,can it be changed without removing timing cover

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

Yes on this car 2.4 16 valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Element yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes the question is can I change it without removing timing cover as in cable timing the chain and gears at tdc

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin no the timing cover will need to be removed to access timing chain to remove as cams need to be removed so head can be removed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cannot tie off the chain to the gears at tdc

You can but you will still need to remove cover to access

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To access what?

Your going to struggle to lift head off with unit tyed up its much easier in the long run to remove covers

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was going to tie the gears and chain then remove the cam gears then remove the cams to access the head bolts
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a 2.4 04 honda element

This will work you will need another pair of hands to assist with lifting head off and threading chain and pulleys out .just make sure your at tdc on no.1 incase it moves

How many miles has engine done ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If chain and sprockets are removed on the 4 cylinder they do not go though the head,134k on engine water in #4 cyclinder
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

To be honest at that milage you would be silly not to replace chain ,guides and tensioner as they will be worn .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you kidding,134k is hardly any miles on modern engines,my son has 320k on a ford 5.4 and never been apart except plastic intake

I agree but as you are stripping engine down it would be crazy not to replace

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you a honda mechanic?

Yes clearly you disagree with me its my opinion il opt out mabye another tech can give advice you agree with

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a feeling that you are not familiar with this engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK thank you
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Do you still need an answer?

Thanks,

Honda-Man

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is hard to text and try and understand if the person understands what you are talking about

Sorry for the delay. It would be impossible or close to impossible to be sure the head to timing cover sealer would hold. I have included a diagram with the area I am referring to. You will be fighting it for sure. It would be a gamble to reuse the timing components, since you are in there you should replace them. I would never go through all of the trouble and reuse timing components. The last expert made a solid recommendation regarding the chain, guides, tensioner etc. If your Element has had above average service history(excellent) I might say reuse the parts. it's totally your call. Problem is we see too many stretched worn timing chains, guides, and tensioners. I have replaced them while still under warranty. Most were under maintained or just met the scheduled maintenance. There has been too many problems for me to say reuse the parts. I would also not even try doing the head gasket with the timing chain installed. I can provide the instructions if needed, just ask. My advice is based on actual experience and factory training. I have worked on this exact engine countless times.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to pay me.
Thank you,

~Cliff

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you,your answer is very understanding.I understand now why I can't shortcut the job.

I don't blame you for wanting to try. Being a flat rate mechanic for over 30 years it's automatic to look for short cuts. Sometimes there are just aren't any.

Thank you again, please rate or accept my answer.

~Cliff