Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Key fob broke. won't work with the spare key. help, it broke

Customer Question
Key fob broke. won't work...
Key fob broke. won't work with the spare key . help
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: it broke in half. It's like the starter won't let it start with the pare key because it's not electronically synched don't know
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2004 accord. is there a work around to fix it?
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've just tried the spare key. Yes I'm working on it myself. the dealership is closed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Spare key did work tried the broken key again after that the spare didn't work either.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin where did key break ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
at the fob. the metal came apart from the plastic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It started with the other key. Then I went back to the original and it didn't now it won't work at all

Ok if you turn key in ignition and hold plastic fob as close as possible to key and it should start

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm using the other key which is not damaged and get nothing
not even turning over
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there a re-set for the fob?

No reset but car will lock itself out if it thinks its being stolen .lock car and unlock with key and retry with spare key

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no luck

Ok so any key light on dash ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
I'm in the car now

Ok i would disconnect battery for a while then reconne t and try only with spare key

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
giving that a shot
How log?

15-20 mins

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. hopefully that will do the trick. if not any other suggestions?

Come back to me once youve tryed this

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No luck. Left the battery unhooked for a few hours. I think the immobilizer system doesn't recognize the key.Any ideas how to get it back?

Next step is to have car plugged into disgnostic tool to find out whats going on

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic