Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

1996 accord, well maintained, stopped while driving down the

Customer Question
road, not cranking, not a...
1996 accord, well maintained, stopped while driving down the road, not cranking, not a battery problem, not the under dash main relay, guessing possibly the switch at this point, everything on the dash is fine, but starter does not fire, have not checked the starter since it died while driving
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: yes battery had moisture under it, like it had boiled over
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: swapped out battery, under dash relays from a working honda in my drive way, checked battery cables. was going to change the ignition switch next since i have one here. i realize it is less likely because of the way it went out, but i have a working parts car and it was the next easiest thing to eliminate
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not off the top of my head, it appears that driving down the road it lost power to the engine and the starter system wont energize
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
8/15/2016
Mechanic for Honda: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, first thing to check is to see if you have voltage at the starter on the large cable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would that make it die driving down the road?

yes it would, if you have no voltage there then you wont have voltage at the alternator thus killing the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks will check that next

please keep me posted

4 or 6 cylinder?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
v 6 and i have now verified it has voltage at the starter, and snapped in another complete ignition switch that worked when the car was parked, still nothing

ok let me pull up a print.......

So we have no cranking at all now?

lets make sure the power is making it to the black/white wire at the solenoid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would this have caused the car to stall out while driving?car gave no indication of engine problems prior to stall out and would not crank since, Only known problem prior to that was an erratic speedometer which i assumed was the speed sensor since the four would flash, it was on my repair list. Starting system worked fine prior to stall out. when i dropped in a new battery to try and start it alone the hiway the old battery was wet underneth simular o what you would see in a boil over

so you are driving down the road, and the car just quit. no warning lights, like the alternator or battery light? sorry im just trying to get a picture of the event

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i wasnt driving it, and the person driving didnt notice anything, started the car, warmed it up, took off down the road, got about a mile at 50 mph, motor died, pulled to the side of the road, starter would not crank over, i swapped the battery out of the truck i drove out there to see if it would start even though the battery in it seemed to be charged, then drug it home. cleaned the battery terminals, swapped out the two relays up under the middle of the dash, checked main fuses, unplugged the ignition and plugged in a different one in case it was the contacts in the switch, no change, still no crank, all swapped parts were used from a complete working parts car i have in my driveway that were fully operational when it was parked. weather was mild and dry.

sitting in the driver seat, turn the ignition to the on position, do you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does, i live across the street from a petty good mechanic shop, should i have them try to pull codes, i hadn't done that because i assumed after pulling the battery twice it would probably do no good

sure if the check engine light is on. absolutely.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
check engine light is on, appears to stay on, i wasn't sure if it did that until started or if it went off after a few seconds, will see if i can get the codes pulled

ok my friend, will be waiting for results of the scan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
possible loss of signal from ecm or tcm is what the snap on code reader said

do you know the code numbers?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
p 1660 A/T FI Data Line Failure

ok...gimme a sec

havent forgot about you...im trying to come up with a game plan for that code

interior fuse panel : check the ecu fuse

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
rechecked all the fuses, rechecked battery voltagr, except the three big ones that look fine visually. i used a light up continuity tested on the starter, large post shows power when grounded to negative post on the battery, when keyed both posts show power on he solinoid, but no pull in or clicking, distributor is not locked up

if you have power at both posts on the starter, the only thing it can be is the starter. smack it with a hammer while someone tries to start it

unless its the neutral safety switch keeping it from cranking

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would that have caused it to die while driving? it is lighting up because the key is sending power to it and i am bypassing the negative/ground side of the wiring and going straight to the battery, the ground side looks like it come from the distributor. i already tried tapping on it, nothing happened

ok, im out of ideas, im going to opt out and let another tech give it a shot. a new set of brain cells can never hurt. good luck my friend

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
mike switzer

to get this straight you have absolutely no power to anything the lights on the dash do not light up at all either? or is everything seem normal just no crank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
everything seems normal just no crank, it died going down the road at about 50 mph, then had no crank, everything else including the fuel pump seems operational
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago

hmmm. no security light flashing on the dash? this is a very odd combination of problems you have here

mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer