Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

My coolant overflow tank was dry when I filled it. I did not

Customer Question
My coolant overflow tank was...
My coolant overflow tank was dry when I filled it. I did not add coolant to the radiator. When I went to drive it, the temp gauge still shows in the middle of H and C, also it doesn't seem that the radiator has drawn any of the coolant from the overflow.
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 190k
JA: What year is your C?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, but not much
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/24/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tracer3
Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, how much did you add? has it been overheating? does it run higher than 1/2 way?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I filled the overflow to the max line. It has been about at the halfway temp mark, but it went above that Friday sitting is some traffic with AC on and it took a while for it to go back down to halfway after driving for 10 minutes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sort of wondering if there is an air bubble in there or if it the hose.

Likely not air in the system, The overflow ONLY works and draws coolant from it as the car cools down, as it it almost cool? it then draws from the overflow. 1/2 way on hot day is still in normal range, a little higher in traffic and AC on is normal also, I am not looking to see how high on the guage it goes, but.. I am thinking you may> have weak thermostat, I would say consider a thermostat soon, That can cause it to run a little higher as well as higher with ac on. low coolant? You did not say exactly how much you added but,, it does not draw from overflow until and if needed so that is not a good indicator of loss of coolant, The overflow will go up and down level wise. I still lean to thermosat per your symptoms

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I will consider that, thanks.

if real hot in your area like here? ac on etc. in traffic, you are fine at half way or a little above. T stat is my thought

Tracer3
Tracer3
Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician