Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have a 1990 Honda Pacific Coast. It runs fine except:

Customer Question
after about thirty minutes of...
I have a 1990 Honda Pacific Coast. It runs fine except: after about thirty minutes of driving the idle RPM goes from normal(###) ###-####to 3000 Plus. Therefore, when you release the throttle in this condition (when it has been run for over a half hour) it backfires. The local mechanic can't figure it out. Help.-Jon Reiver
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
7/18/2016
Mechanic for Honda: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

The best thing to do in a case like this is scan the computer for codes and related data. The idle air control motor on the throttle body may be the problem. You can take it off and clean the carbon out of it and also clean the throttle body to and see if that helps.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ron, it is a 1990 and I don't think it has a computer that can be scanned. I might be wrong. IT always idles correctly when cold. Any thoughts?

Yes, it should give data with the proper tool and software. God only knows how much that costs:)

Try putting on a coolant temp sensor. These can be real brats if their out of calibration too hot or too cold reading. If you have a lab scope, that's even better than the scan tool. See attachment.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on. Ron

ace5a2b8-c312-451f-a863-...jpgace5a2b...jpgf0c4c757-66af-4a15-9a23-...jpgf0c4c75...jpg2a6a95ab-e276-47b6-a97a-...jpg2a6a95a...jpg
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor