sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2001 honda passport went through water and died. Has fuel

Customer Question

2001 honda passport went through water and died. Has fuel and fire but won't start.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Turns over fine. Good battery.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Good fuel pressure. Pulse to injectors. Good fire.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I checked all electrical plugs under vehicle and found no moisture.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin did water get into engine ? Is air filter wet ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I checked all connections for moisture.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

And the air filter itself isnt wet ?inside air box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at all
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

ok i have restricted info on your model il opt out

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The only thing left is compression. You checked everything else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to check the crank positioning sensor next
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compression is good. Fire. Fuel. I'm stumped!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

unless the timing is somehow off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was running perfect until i went through water. It was about 12 to 16 inches deep. It made it through the first one fine then died in the middle of the second.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a strong spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to test the strength but visually it looks pretty good.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Im out of ideas something got wet. Hard to diagnose without being there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

Mechanical problems can all be solved using the right diagnostic procedures, no reason to be stumped.

When you posted "Compression is good. Fire. Fuel.", was that after checking compression with a tester? How about the rest, did you also use the proper test equipment to check fuel pressure, injection pulse and ignition spark?

Reason I ask is because it would mechanically impossible for that engine not to start and run with good compression, good fuel pressure, good injection pulse and good ignition spark ("good" in this case meaning up to specs)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used compression tester for the compression and use a fuel pressure tester for the fuel pressure I checked spark by grounding it with another plug grounded by cable to the battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tested injectors for power while cranking

I see. Unfortunately, I can't help you either. I'll opt out so another expert may try. Please don't reply until the another expert responds or the site will keep cycling this request back to me

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please.

What was the compression reading for each cylinder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't write it down but all were the same and high. I look at gauge in a few and get back to you.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was around 120 to 150.

That would indicate internal engine issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't follow. What should it be?

Valvetrain issues can cause low compression but if the problem happened after going through deep water then piston/ring/rod issues are more likely. Water doesn't compress and will do physical damage when sucked into the engine. You have a large variation between cylinders if testing was truly done and done correctly.

Can you explain exactly how testing was done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just retested with all plugs out fuel system unhooked ignition unhooked 1-6. 150 150 135 115 95 115
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it ran good until died in water. Engine was running no longer than 5 minutes before i went through first section of water. Then died in the second section less than 50yards ahead. Water was around 16 inches deep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's an electrical issue but not sure what.

If you have spark, fuel pressure and injector pulse then there isn't an electrical problem. It has to be engine mechanical, fuel contamination or an exhaust restriction.

The compression results you've provided indicate definite internal engine problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just don't see how it was running fine and then dies in the water and no water got into any of the engine and now this

It's pretty unlikely that you went through water that deep and it didn't get pulled into the engine. If you have fuel pressure, spark and injector pulse yet the engine doesn't start, and now has poor compression after dying when trying to drive through that much water, that indicates water was sucked into the engine. If compression was this low and inconsistent before this happened it would have been running very, very poorly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only way it could get in was through the exhaust. But I see no sign of any water anywhere.
The water would have entered the air intake.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said before there was absolutely no moisture in the intake. On the filter or anywhere else including the throttle body. That was the first thing I checked before trying to start.

Water would have evaporated in the mean time and I don't have a way of knowing when you checked as opposed to when the problem happened.

Whether water entered the engine or not doesn't change the fact that your poor compression results indicate engine problems.