Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Goood morning, i"ll type in as a word doc and copy it to your page i will be back in a few minutes...

Customer Question
goood morning, i"ll type in...
goood morning, i"ll type in as a word doc and copy it to your page i will be back in a few minutes thanks
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Hello I'm back:
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: civic 1.7 2003Honda Civic EX 2001 - A/C wont kick-in.
(3 years ago)I have the same problem with a civic 1.7 l 2003
Both fan engage when I press the air cond. button but compressor clutch does not engage.
I did the 2001 AC diagnostic test: the blower fan came on fullspeed for a few seconds and that was it; noting else flashed.
I did an obd2 reading with innova code reader : nofault displayed
I bypassed the AC pressure switch: no result
There is also a temperature safety switch on body of compressor which I also bypassed in a second attempt no result.
The radiator fan switch operates normally
Cannot get an OHM reading from ECT sensor yet the gauge on the dash works fine
I wonder if the procedure for testing evaporator sensor is the same as for 2001
Also is procedure for panels removal same in order to access Ac pane contol test
Thank you,
Regards,
Michel Perron
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: ac clutch sliping yes but now its dead
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Honda Civic EX 2001 - A/C wont kick-in.
Thank you,
Regards,
Michel Perron
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: honda dealer did diagnostic: says its the clutch and coil i replaced the clutch and coil (tested it + 2.8 ohms ) still not working. the car pcm controls the clutch and some semsor signal is missing since the pcm is not energising coil
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2016
Mechanic for Honda: justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Do you have a test light or multimeter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
multimeter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have digital multimeter...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, I'm using haynes repair manual #42026 for civic 2001 to 2010
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Please confirm that the cooling fans run when the a/c is switched ON

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, both fans were running when i would press the ac button. Not any more...after performing ac diagnostic test initiated by pressing 3 switches : recirc, ac, rear defog
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correction: diagnostic procedure : press simultaneus recirc and rear defrost and hold then turn ignition swtch to on thren release...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this does not seem to work on 2003 model but was suggested by your colllegue for model 2001. the blower turns on full blast for approx 2 seconds no light flasing codes at all

Go to the a/c pressure switch. With engine running, the pressure switch connector PLUGGED up, I need you to back probe each wire and report the voltage to me. I need you to do this when the a/c switch is pressed on and also report the voltage on each wire when the a/c switch is off. Indicate to me the voltage when the a/c switch is pressed on and off. Should be a BLUE/WHITE wire and solid BLUE wire in the pressure switch connector.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
According to Haynes manual ( # ***** civic & crv '01 to '10 ) the ac pressure switch is connected in series with a thermal protector switch attached to compressor casing. Bypassing both switches with jumper does not get compressor clutch to engage nor the 2 fans running.Wondering if the ECT sensor has anything to do with PCM activating fan and clutch relays.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Justin, i haven't tried testing pressure switch with engine running but will do so.
I must put a hold on our conversation ,if i may, because this car belongs to my daughter and i cannot perform test right now.
May i communicate with you tomorrow by email ?

just post back to this thread when you have the information I requested.

HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician