Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I am changing the alternator and it is off but I am unable

Customer Question
to get it out....
I am changing the alternator and it is off but I am unable to get it out. I have moved the radiator forward, but there is just not enough room
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has any work ever been done on the radiator?
Customer: 100,000. No work has been done on the radiator since I got it at 60,000 miles
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2007 Odyssey EX
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, it is all tore apart right now. I just can not fit the old alternator through the space I have to get it out.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just how can I create enough room to get it out. The AC hose/metal tube is in the way and I don't know how to get it out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
6/12/2016
Mechanic for Honda: eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

Alternator Removal and Installation

Removal

1. Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the audio system and navigation system (if equipped), then write down the audio presets. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.
  2. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery first, then disconnect the positive cable.
  3. Remove the engine cover.
  4. Remove the drive belt.

1. Remove the harness clamp (A), then remove the bracket (B).
  2. Disconnect the alternator connector (C) and BLK wire (D) from the alternator.

1. Remove the bolt (A), then disconnect the A/C suction line clamp (B) and the A/C receiver line stay (C).
  2. Remove the washer reservoir mount bolt.

1. Remove the mounting bolt (A) and alternator bracket mounting bolt (B), then remove the alternator.

Installation

1. Install the alternator, then tighten the mounting bolt (A) and alternator bracket mounting bolt (B).
  2. Install the washer reservoir mount bolt.

1. Install the A/C suction line clamp (A) and the A/C receiver line stay (B).

1. Connect the alternator connector (A) and BLK wire (B) to the alternator.
  2. Install the bracket (C), then install the harness clamp (D).
  3. Install the drive belt.
  4. Install the engine cover.
  5. Connect the positive cable to the battery first, then connect the negative cable.
  6. Enter the anti-theft codes for the audio system and navigation system (if equipped), then enter the audio presets.
  7. Set the clock.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy