Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

My rear passenger window will not operate. I checked the

Customer Question
fuse - put it in...
my rear passenger window will not operate. I checked the fuse - put it in another position and it works fine. When I try to operate the window from the driver's door, there is a "click" that I can hear just as when I removed a working window fuse. However, when I try to use the window control at the inoperable window, I hear no "click." Would an inoperable switch at the rear passenger window prevent operation from the driver's door? I'm at a loss here.
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: I have located the fuse and it is good. how do I check the circuit?
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2006 Pilot
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've already replaced the window regulator and checked the fuse. Yes, I was hoping to fix this myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of... like I said, it's interesting that I get a "click" when using the driver's controls but nothing at the control of the failed window. If that switch must be in operation for either control to work, than I think it would be the switch.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
6/10/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there,

The first thing for you to do is swap the rear door switches from left to right.

If the fault moves to the other door, the switch is faulty.

If the fault is still in the same door, we need a test lamp, to see what is missing at the motor, 12volt or ground. Switch up 12v should be on one wire and ground on the other. Switch down would be the other way around.

Can you try this please?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will do - back to you in a few minutes

Ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, changing the switch makes no difference. I have my voltmeter, where should I first place the positive?

Ok, can you take the connector off the window motor that is not operating?

Then voltmeter on each wire, with your meter black to ground.

Does either wire go to 12v when the switch is operated either way?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for my confusion, I'm not much for electrical. I know I have the meter set right, checked it on the battery at 12.3V. So the motor will show voltage even without being connected? I assume I check the red prong on the motor plug/ connector and ground the black? I get no reading when I do that. I replace the motor already earlier today so unless they sent me a bad one, it should be good.

Ok, that's fine, I'll help you.

Place your meter negative to a good body ground.

Probe each wire of the door harness connector that you took off the motor while operating the switch in both directions.

Do you 12volts in either direction?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the voltage at the window switch and get 0.2 volts on the red/white wire. There are 6 and none of the others measure any voltage.

Ok, sounds like you have a broken wire in the door harness.

If you keep your meter there where you see this .2 volt, and wiggle the door harness, does it change?

Can you see where you have 12v on the other door for comparison?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get pretty much the same there (on the other side. I think I am having a hard time getting a good ground. I've only got a small meter and the best I can do is ground it to the hardware at the door hinge. No change on the failed side when Inwiggle the wires.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe 0.7 V on the other side.

Ok, we need to improve your test lead ground.

Have you got a length of wire, to run from your black lead to the battery negative terminal?

Gary

Although you have proved the rear switches are ok, the master switch could still be the problem here.

I would pop the master switch out for some voltage/ground verification.

Gary

Hi again,

Do you still need help with this problem?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Hi again,

Do you need any further help?

Regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician