Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I've got an intermitant problem of no ground pulse to my

Customer Question
Hello I've got an intermitant...
Hello I've got an intermitant problem of no ground pulse to my fuel injector on my 1996 honda accord dlx coupe. Sometimes it runs perfectly but most of the time it won't start do to no ground pulse. Any ideas would be helpful? I did change the main relay, to the same effect.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I changed the main relay and plugged in a new tps i have jumped power to my fuel pump. It will run with starting fluid, Andoccasionally it will just start up and run fine.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just replaced the head and head gasket.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
6/7/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. I have over 21 years experience repairing strictly Honda vehicles.

Does the check engine light come on? Any codes? Did this start after the cylinder head work?

Thanks,

~Cliff

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Check engine light stays on it says o2 heater circuit faulty, its always been like that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do the fuel injectors get their signal from. Also I just checked the ground pins 10 20 and 23, their good

I have seen them fail without a check engine light several times. Did this start after the head work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It started before the head work but was getting worse and worse, now most days it won't start.

Since it starts on starting fluid that rules out a spark, power or ground issue to the ECM. I can send you the instructions for testing the sensors? Also for replacing them. They are down by the timing belt crank gear behind the cover.

Another thing to try is wiggle connectors while cranking it. Might be a loose terminal or 2?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've tried wiggling the crank position sensor but where is the cylinder position sensor? can i test the cps from the top on the harness? Does the throttle position sensor have any thing to do with it?

The 2 sensors are down by the crank gear behind the timing cover. The connector is on the back side of the engine near where the top and bottom covers meet. The TPS should not have anything to do with injector control or timing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can i test the cps? Which is more likely the problem the cps or the icm

The ICM is the ignition module. If it were bad there would be no reaction with starting fluid. The 2 sensors are called CKP and TDC. One is for crank speed, engine speed, and injector control(CKP). The other is for cylinder #1 reference, injector control timing etc. Either one can do it. They come on the same harness as one part.

They are easy to test but it will need to be not starting when tested.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you think I should go ahead and change that, and that should do it? Also the fuel pump doesn't presurize the system, except when it does start, any ideas on that, could it be the same sensor?

I would test them first. It's pretty easy and if they are not bad then I would hate to see you wast time and money. Best to test first. It is a likely suspect but nor 100%.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this what I need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-1996-2001-CRANKSHAFT-POSITION-SENSOR-CRANK-37840-P0A-A01-/271940042731?fits=Year%3A1996%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3AAccord&hash=item3f50e3bfeb:m:mzuwPAX54xS6n-eCWY_fj_A&vxp=mtr
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do i test them?

The fuel pump won't run without a engine rpm reference. The ECM controls the fuel pump relay ground. Yup that's it! I sent the instructions a few reply's ago. Unplug the sensor harness and use a ohmmeter to check the value. Compare the readings to the diagnosis instructions.

If you need help along the way just come back and ask. I would appreciate a rating tonight, it won't close the question.

Thanks,

~Cliff

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry about that I tried to do the sensor tests last night but it got to dark. Then i got to cleaning things up, it got pretty late i figured i'd do it today. Anyway 3 and 4 blink 1650 the go to open, 1 and 2 blink 1950 then go to open. Should they stay at the reading or is that normal.

The readings are OK. Did you do the next test(see attached info) to see if one of the 4 wires is grounded? Ground the black tester probe on a good engine ground like the cylinder head then touch the red test probe on each of the 4 male terminals. See if any of the 4 show continuity to ground. The all should read OL or open loop on you meter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea no body ground and the connector pins read the about the same as the sensor harness wire

OK, I guess the sensors are fine. Good thing you tested them. Let me look over my info again for another solution.

When it won't start what does the check engine light do compared to when it does start? Also is there power to the injectors? red/black wires?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It always stays on i can clear it but it will come right back on

Thanks, ***** ***** can help to know if it does not come on at all etc. Next is the sensor in the distributor housing. The CYP I have included the test for this sensor. It's similar to the other sensor test. I have seen worn out distributor bushings damage the sensor pickup assembly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry this took so long thanks for your patience. I checked the distributor sensor 2 and 4 connector and it read .381 on the 2k ohms scale. I guess that's 381, and it should be between .8 and 1.5? Is that the problem?

Yes 381 ohms is too low evidently not low enough to set a code but still cause a no-start. They are usually 1 to 1.2 K ohms. Guess it's time to try a new distributor. At least now you have a solid diagnosis.

Thanks and good job!

~Cliff

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help its all good to know. I am a little concerned with the price I thought it was $5 but there were to charges on my card one for $5 and another for $23 for a total of $28. Did I miss something?

I think they charge the total after I respond but I am not totally sure? I don't get paid unless you rate or say you are satisfied. You will need to take it up with them but I would appreciate a positive rating for my time and information. I don't work for the site i am a private contractor so to speak.

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic