Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have a 2003 honda ACCORD ex 5 speed that I just bought

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2003...
Hi I have a 2003 honda ACCORD ex 5 speed that I just bought well the car is making a clicking noise when I released the clutch and when I press it again it goes away and sometimes It won't take reverse but after a few tries it take reverse what can it be, the car runs good great except that issue that I'm having and the clutch feels good
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes but if is to complicated I will take it to a shop
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tomorrow I'm going to check the transmission oil and the axcels
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
5/22/2016
Mechanic for Honda: acura mstr, Honda Master Tech replied 1 year ago
acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech
Does the noise happen in neutral as well as in gear? Or does the car need to be moving to hear the noise?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it happens in neutral and when I'm driving but the noise stops when I press on the clutch.
Ok, Unfortunately this is a noisy bearing on the input shaft inside the transmission. We see this from time to time on these. If it shifts ok through the gears you will probably only need to change the bearings inside the transmission. Be sure to only use Honda MTF fluid in this transmission.Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK so the transmission needs to be open in order to change that bearing or it can be done by the axles
The transmission will have to be removed and the case needs to be opened and the shafts removed to replace the bearing. You can try changing the oil with Honda MTF and see if it helps but I kind of doubt it. It holds 2.5 QTS Might be worth a try.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How much will a job like that gonna cost me at the dealer
At the dealer this would usually cost $1700-2100 Depending on what the local rate is. A good independent transmission shop usually would be less . Ask around in your local area for a quote on replacing the "input bearing " in the transmission.
acura mstr
acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech