Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2008 Honda Odyssey Right side sliding door was not able to

Customer Question
2008 Honda Odyssey Right side sliding...
2008 Honda Odyssey
Right side sliding door was not able to close properly. I had to press it manually in order to shut flat with the cars outside wall. I stopped using it, and kept using just the Left side sliding door. (I was about six months ago)Yesterday my left side sliding door stopped working too. I do not have any response on the switch, and can not open it even
by outside pulling handle. Neither sliding doors work now, and my kids had to come in from the rear trunk compartment.
I checked fuses, and they look OK. I tried to reset it by pulling off #7 fuse , back up fuse, (7.5A). And nothing happenedI pulled a plug to the door switches, and did not have any power to either small hole. My light tester was unable to be sled in these thin holes, and I used a piece of thin wire. If this test is accurate, I did not find a juice for my light tester in any hole.
Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I watched all video clips for Honda's Odyssey's on the Youtube, but no one mentioned my problem.
5/9/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. From what is described here this may be a fault with the door latches/lock assemblies on the doors here.I have seen some of these fail before and had to be replaced and in this situation the interior door paneling usually has to be removed with the doors stuck closed to then try and manually trigger the latches to release to then examine the latches to see if for sure they need replaced.This can usually damage the interior door panelings when this is done like this here to where the panelings would need repaired or replaced after.This will have to be checked into further to see if the latches do need replaced for sure here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, Pete.You think door latches could be bad, and door panels need to be removed from inside while doors are closed. That could be a painful. My door could pop off when pulled handle, but do not sliding any. Do you talking about piece with two rollers and attached cable on it. Do you have some video, or photos to attach here, please?
Thanks again.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You thing this could help?
https://youtu.be/Wm-cJLA9UNM
The component in the video you have provided does look to be the part that fails and can cause this here.I have seen these fail before needing replaced and if the door will not open at all then this is the most likely cause.If it is opening or unlatching but not pulling open let me know. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll be busy by working on it.
.
Thanks a lot, and if I need your help, will you be available regarding my project?
I will be here most of the day as well as this week.If I do not reply right away when you post again I will as soon as I can. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not have a chance to work on this today, and will try to do it some time this week or on weekend.Thanks
No problem.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I stated above, I unplugged the switch. There are two plugs. One for the side doors and another for the sun roof. When kept inserting a thin piece of wire in each plug's hole, it activated sun roof and it started to open and close. No light appeared, but it triggered switch.
When tried it with the door's plug, nothing happened. Neither hole got power, and no any sound. Does it matter?
Per your suggestion, when I remove door/latch assembly, how could I know check it for operation?Thanks
This is a difficult one for me to answer myself here.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, Thanks
Mechanic for Honda: HondaPlatinum, A Technician replied 1 year ago
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Did you still need assistance?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not have a chance to open that door's panels yet.That van had battery shortage somewhere, and I replaced it with a brand new, $ 150. 00 battery. After two months, I needed to jump start it every morning. It was really embarrassing, and I did install a battery kill switch, to protect battery from draining. After that I lost a clock and radio do not work, which I do not care, but van is starting OK after turning a battery switch on every morning.
Since battery is off per night, and computer has not a powered, is it related to my doors problem?I need to fix it, and I am a heavy duty truck mechanic. Did not work on cars a lot.Thanks for your support and help.
this has all to do with your door issue it will constantly try to communicate with the door ECM and that's what's killing your battery aa well as try to keep interior lights on as well as the multiplex unit. So once the doors are fixed it will take care of your battery issue as well. Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent the service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which part on the door mostly needs to be replaced in these cases?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had the first troubles with the Right door, and now Left door gave up.which means that both doors need to be fixed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still with me?
most common are the center rollers or cables broke or the latches themselves are bad. These are what need to be checked and fixed for your issue. Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you just said: motor with cables bad, center rollers bad, and latches bad?
Center rollers are not electric parts, but these two are. What do you think should be replaced first?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not open that door even manually. It just popping off, and stays there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can I check these parts before purchasing them?
Ok that's the center rollers is broken and possibly the cable. If the center roller broke not a major repair had to be done at the dealer about 200 it theasy cable broke it usually sucks it into the motor and that's a 1500 dollar repair . If the door is not moving the center rollers broke and needs to be replaced. If the cable got sucked into the motor is wounder cut the cable replace the center rollers and remove the power door fuses and use the doors manuallyrics unless you want to spend 2000 or possibly more. This is the next step. Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is very expensive project, and I have to do it myself.
If I remove door fuses, do you know where are they located and numbers.
After removing them, do you think that I could be able to open that door by outside handle, manually?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, I got you. I should replace center roller any way, and if it did not help, I should cut off cable, remove a fuse and use it manually.
My problem is that I can not open door any way. Does it mean that I need to cut off cable as is, and try to open it, in order to further work?
No removing the fuses will not help allow door movement. Sliding door fuses is located in the under side floor passenger side labeled power doors thinks it's 7.5 amp remove that . Here's how to fix the centerm roller.https://youtu.be/SKRMvx3VHLc
Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked this you tube already. Do I need to pry that door to open it, or is there another way to do it?
you are going to need to haveat someone hold the inside handle open as you kick at the back of the door and it should pop open. If not you will need to remove the inside door panel to pop the latches manually and that's not an easy job either
Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, PlatinumI have replaced the center rollers hinges on both sides. The left side was really bad, that roller's holding pins were loosen.My problem is with my right sliding door now. When I use it's switch, nothing is happening. After opening manually, I cannot close them all the way, and I am getting the 'R/door opened' light in my dash.What could cause that switch not responding? Is it a fuse burnt, and door's latch actuator mechanism or motor bad.What do you think?
Here is a video of that job:
https://youtu.be/0e1wdxCx0ME
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The passenger side door back latch would not secure lock on door and the rear part of door would pop out then lites on dash and alarm would sound
I have replaced R/door's center rollers hinge. My sliding door does not work by pressing dash switch, not at all, and no any sign. What could be the most likely problem?
On the youtube I have seen door actuator bad, but another one said door's locking mechanisms bad.What do you think?Thanks
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician