Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Ok, JA: . How can we be of help? Customer: 93 del sol

Customer Question
ok, hi JA: Hi. How can...
ok, hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: 93 del sol power window problem: passenger then rear stopped working. Replaced power relay, fuses good
JA: Someone once said knowledge gives us power. In this case, quite literally! The mechanics will know how to get to the bottom of any power problems, and I'd love to put you in touch with the best one for the job. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: are u a real person?
JA: IÂ’m an assistant to the Honda Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: That description should be sufficient
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I told u: fuses, relay
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
5/1/2016
Mechanic for Honda: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The problem could be wiring or switch failure, but is most likely a bad window motor in both locations if they stopped working separately.The first thing that will need to be done at this point is gain access to each of the window motors. Once the door panels are removed then the window motors will need to be disconnected and an incandescent test light will need to be set up across the motor terminals, the window switch pressed with the key on to see if the test light lights up. If so then the problem is either a failed motor or a mechanical issue preventing the windows from moving, in which case you'll see and hear the motors try to work when the switch is pressed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At least passenger side motor is good. No voltage found at the motor when using switch. Applying voltage to motor terminals closed the window. Having two windows fail within a few weeks suggests to me the Window control unit is faulty. Any easy way to test the control unit?
Do you have the VIN?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
JHMEH6261PS003117 -- '93. I'm about to buy a new window control unit for like '93 to '95 for $50.
Have the switch inputs to the control unit been tested, or have the motor circuits for the affected windows been powered from the control unit to see if the windows worked from there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Neither. We don't have a good circuit diagram. Only a partial from this site, where the bottom is cut off.
Seems unlikely that passenger and rear windows would both be affected, unless there's a connector that includes both. The rear stopped working a couple weeks after the passenger.
The wires are the same color at the control unit as they are at the motors.The passenger motor control wires are blue/yellow and blue/green.The rear wires are red/yellow and red/blue.Start by applying power and ground to these wires at the control unit connector to see if the windows will move in each direction, just as you did at the motor connectors.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician