Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I've got a 99 Honda prelude base model that will crank for

Customer Question
awhile and start for maybe...
I've got a 99 Honda prelude base model that will crank for awhile and start for maybe 2seconds and die. I've replaced the engine with a older model and swapped over all the necessary components front the old engine. I've replaced the efi main relay and also the fuel pump. Checked timing, adjusted valves, checked distributor for proper timing.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I'm actually a Nissan master tech and see master tech but I'm completely stumped on this Honda
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the main efi relay, replaced fuel pump, cleaned and retightened ground on thermostat housing. My battery in the vehicle is completely dead so I'm jumping it off using a battery booster box.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Honda Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
4/24/2016
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
mike switzer
do you know if you are loosing fuel? the distributor is what powers the fuel pump a bad dizzy will cause this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just replaced the fuel pump, I don't have the special service tool to inspect the actual fuel pressure, I can hear the fuel pump turning on and I know I'm getting fuel to the rail. I've also replaced the efi main relay.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've checked the timing belt for proper timing, performed valve adjustments. I do have fuel and spark. When I step on the accel pedal while it running for the brief amount of time that it runs it dies.
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
when it shuts off do you still hear the fuel pump prime after?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I can still hear it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've tried to keep the ignition switch in the run position but it doesn't stay running
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
another thing that is possible on these if i remember correctly i cant remember every honda engine this can be done on but you want to make sure the tps and map sensor connectors are not switched. if they are totally different then its no big deal you cant but on some engines the connectors are exactly the same and if you route the wiring wrong it will cause different issue. egr ports on hondas are terrible for causing no starts. also the iacv if stuck open which honda again has problems with.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've cleaned the iacv before, the tps and map sensor a different connectors. I also cleaned the egr port before I installed the engine and intake manifold. ill go ahead and check to see if the iacv is actually working right though.
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
yeah that is the key of course. i am assuming you have no codes or do younot have a scanner other than a nissan one?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I used a general scan tool but I've got no codes on it
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
thats good enough to tell you that. have you been able to test the iacv?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not just yet I wil though
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I inspected the iacv and I looked ok, i inspected the fast idle control valve and it had rust from where the previous engine had sucked up water and hydro locked. I cleaned all th rust and inspected if the valve and plunger operated smoothly and they are. I installed a new battery and it's still not running. Would the map sensor cause a issue like this?
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
it can but but generally those rarely go out what happens if you start it with it unplugged
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It would run very rough but only for about 10 sec maybe. But when I would apply the accel pedal it would die.
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
sounds like that is causing you issues the car will run very rough with it off. i would start with replacing that with a known good brand.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so I got around to checking and the map sensor is good. I got the car to finally start and it threw me a code for P0335 for the ckp sensor circuit malfunction. I inspected the the ckp sensor and found no damage to the sensor or wiring. I performed a ohm reading on the ckp sensor and got 2.2k ohms on the tdc and ckp lines. They have no continuity to ground either. The last step I've gotten to is swapping in known good ecm. But I don't have one around.
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
if you swap computers the car will not start due to the imobilizer. you would have to get it programmed to be able to check that. i would try getting a known good ckp sensor and swapping it. it may test out good but actually be bad. also check the wiring coming from the sensor it is known to go bad or rub on different spots.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used the same ecm from the previous engine the immobilizer light is green and the vehicle does run. The issue is the ckp sensor throws a code. I know the tdc switch gives a signal good enough that the cam sensor can create a timing sequence to pulse the injectors and spark plugs. My issue is as soon as it runs the ses light comes on for the ckp sensor. they test good and the wiring tests good and there are no shorts to ground on the sensor or the harness.
Mechanic for Honda: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
well yes the ecu has to match the car so if you used the one from the original engine that why it will start. i am saying if you get another ecu from another prelude then it will not start.
mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer