Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

The gear level it wont move to reverse or others gears

Customer Question
JA: Good to know. The...
the gear level it wont move to reverse or others gears
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: 2004 Honda pilot 3.5L
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: ok
JA: Noted. IÂ’ll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can drive the car due to no shifting
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: maybe
JA: Anything else I can tell the Honda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: not really
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
4/18/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Steve, Honda Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
This may take 2 people but can you tell me if the brake lights are working?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes I have brake lights when I push the brake pedal
When you push on the brake pedal you should hear a click by the shifter which is the interlock solenoid. If the idle speed is too high it will not unlock. There is a small cover that can be removed by prying it off with a screw driver. In that slot you should be able to insert your key and push down to unlock the shifter. If it still will not move then the cable is most likely bad.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't hear the click noise, also when you turn the key on it show like the car is in drive not on park, and yes if I push the level in the small slot it move true the gears but hard
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
and you want for me to pay for this, really
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
why
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cancel my subscription
Mechanic for Honda: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The interlock solenoid may not be turning on and off because it doesn't see the trans is in park. You may have a range sensor or wiring issue, or it's possible the shift cable is broken or out of adjustment.Are you able to push the vehicle or do you feel a hard mechanical lock?
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician