Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have a 2008 Civic EX coupe. Recently, the speedometer began

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Civic...
I have a 2008 Civic EX coupe. Recently, the speedometer began malfunctioning. At fist, the displayed speed would bounce around, then it would just remain at zero regardless of the speed. The check engine light is also on. all of the other gauges are fine. Only the speedoemeter is affected. Any ideas?
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: It is the original, so it is 8 years old.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: It's awesome! that's why I buy Hondas!
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Honda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No thanks.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
4/6/2016
Mechanic for Honda: eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
have you scanned it for codes?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure how to scan it for codes, but no codes are displayed on the cluster, if that's what you mean.
The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causesif you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'll go to autozone. thanks.
ok get me the code an we can figure this out...hope you can rate me 5 star
eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy