camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I'm looking at buying a used Honda Odessy and I am trying to

Customer Question

I'm looking at buying a used Honda Odessy and I am trying to determine what the average life expectancy is in terms of total mileage ( assuming normal maintenance). I'm looking at a 2003 with 86,000 miles. I also want to know what other issues may be common with this age/conditin of vehicle and what AI should lookout for.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: don't know - I'm looing to buy it from a private seller. How long to trans' last typically
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: yes
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Honda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: how do I check condition of engine, brakes , trans, etc.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Honda
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.
hi there,im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.I currently have quite a few oddessy's that come to my shop, and they all have 300k+ km's on them.I just had one in on wed, that had 450k km on it, and I replaced the entire front end, front and rear brakes.HE didnt mind puting $3000 into it, because he loved the van and has given him minimal problems.The 2003 that you are looking at is low miles for the year, which is good, and should provide you with double those miles as for expectancy.things to look at before purchase1. steering and suspension - the front end should be tight with no play or wheel bearing noises2. brakes- should have at least 6 mm of brake pads at the front and 3mm of brake shoe left with no brake leaks3. engine and trans - no excessive leaks and make sure timing belt has been done if equipped. No trouble codse stored in computer and the transmision oil should be a nice color and not smell burntI have done a couple of these transmissions, but its always been because of lack of maintenance. If the fluid is balck and burnt smell, than dont bother as you will be into an expensive transmision repair. Also test drive it as there should be no slipping between gears4. body - there should be no holes and the underneath should not be excessive rust or rotten sub frames5. Ac should work - honda is bad for their ac compressors failing. IF it does not work, than this is a sign that the previous owner did not want to put any money into it
let me know how you make out! and I am always available for follow ups!thanks and I appreciate positive ratings!ca
hi thereplease take a moment to rate me as it is improtant for my page!thanks againcam