Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2000 civic with a crank no start problem.Tested

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2000 civic with a crank no start problem.Tested main relay and it was bad.Replaced and retested and was still bad. I'm stuck,what do I do from here?? **When tested,fuel pump wire on connecter tested good,other did not.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I may need to ask some questions before I can give an answer. As much detail as possible is greatly appreciated.

Do you have spark?

Does the fuel pump run when you try to start it?

Does the check engine light come on for approx 2 seconds then go off when the key is cycled on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spark,fuel pump starts.engine light stays on.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply and information. Have you had a chance to check for codes? If the light is staying on it should have a code. If it's on with no codes I can give you the diagnostic procedure for that or for the code you have? What color is the spark? Yellow or white-blue?

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spark was yellow. No codes. Where is the pcm located,i'm having a hard time finding it.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Yellow spark is weak. It should be bright blue. Might have a bad coil? Ignition rotors are also known to fail. The PCM is behind the rt lower kick panel(see image).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay,I've explained how i tested the main relay-yellow/green wire failed test,the black/yellow wire tested good. i got new relay same issue.coil is good,rotor new,cap new,ignitor good,new plugs and wires,all tested good,injectors tested good,fuel pressure good...I'm still stuck.I thought maybe wiring but engine llight wouldn't be on if wires were shorted to pcm,correct?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Automatic or manual trans? There are different troubleshooting procedures for each one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
automatic
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

The engine light can be on with no codes if the PCM were bad or a fuse was blown. Check fuse 44under-hood and fuse 13 under-dash. You said there is fuel pressure and spark correct? Are the plugs wet with fuel or smell of fuel? Have you tried starting fluid or brake cleaner to see if it will fire up for a second at least?

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

No-Start Dig info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New spark plugs...wet #1 and #3 wet smell like gas...no 44fuse under hood (2000 honda civic dx).tried to start with fluid,no start
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Yours might be numbered different. I sent a diagram with the #44 location. If it's getting fuel and starting fluid has no reaction either you have a spark problem or a compression problem. Need fuel, spark, and compression to start. You know there is fuel, spark is weak by my recommendation, compression? Does it turn over normal sounding?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ran test.have low compression 20-30-60-70
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

That is low. Even with good spark and fuel it's not going to start that way. Probably need to check the timing belt to see if it's still in time. Did this happen suddenly?

Turn the engine over using the crankshaft pulley bolt going in a counterclockwise direction. Stop on the white TDC mark, if you miss it go around again so it stops exactly on the white mark(see image). Check the cam gear marks to see if they line up exactly with the cylinder head surface(see image). It does not matter if the "UP" mark on the cam gear is on top just if the 2 cam gear marks line up with the head. If you have a ywin cam engine let me know please.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
family was over I had them blocked in,jumped in car started up went to back out and it puttered and turned off.couldn't get it back on
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Might just be flooded from all the cranking? Try holding it to the floor and cranking it. Still need to check the timing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry Easter Sunday...ok i got code P0113 intake air temp sensor circuit high temp
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

No worries I have been busy outside anyway. P0113 won't cause your problem. Did it get unplugged with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No unplugged after... could the crankshaft position sensor be the cause?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

You have spark and fuel so no it's not the problem. The low compression needs to be solved first. Have you checked the cam timing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm not too familiar with working with timing but i followed your directions and it lined up
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Needs to line up exactly one tooth off and it will have low compression.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both exactly lined up."UP" mark as well.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Did it quit suddenly or how did it end up not starting? The compression is very low.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know.yes it did suddenly. 1) I didn't drive all day. 2)company was leaving so i ran out started car up,put in reverse and as soon as i stepped on gas pedal it died and hasn't started since
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Well I am about out of ideas? All I know for sure is the compression is way too low. If the timing belt is OK maybe it's flooded. That can lower compression. Try holding the gas pedal to the floor and crank it. Keep on it for a while to clear out the fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't wear out the starter? And could the starter be the issue? Had no issues with starter b4 this...
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

That's the normal procedure for clearing out a flooded engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Today I looked thru everything.Everything checked out good until I got to the pulley bolt.Now,I noticed at 1st it was easy,then became tight but not too tight not to continue turning,just tougher to to turn.Please say I'm on to something...
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

The bottom crank pulley bolt was loose? Didn't you use it when I asked you to check the timing belt timing? You well might have found something.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was loose enough to turn when you first told me.When I got to it today I turned it,missed my mark so went around again and noticed it was easy to turn one moment,then tough
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

If it was loose the pulley key way or slot that indexes it will be worn or loose. That can effect the position of the timing mark and timing belt alignment. Need to remove it and check it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've stopped myself from taking the head off and checking for cracks,carbon build up,because I don't know if thats the right path from here...
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

That would be a bit extreme at this point. You have basically no compression and the crank pulley is loose. Logic would suggest the problem is related to the cam timing or a slipped timing belt.