Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have a 2000 civic with a crank no start problem.Tested

Customer Question
Hello I have a 2000...
Hello I have a 2000 civic with a crank no start problem.Tested main relay and it was bad.Replaced and retested and was still bad. I'm stuck,what do I do from here?? **When tested,fuel pump wire on connecter tested good,other did not.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
3/26/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I may need to ask some questions before I can give an answer. As much detail as possible is greatly appreciated.

Do you have spark?

Does the fuel pump run when you try to start it?

Does the check engine light come on for approx 2 seconds then go off when the key is cycled on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have spark,fuel pump starts.engine light stays on.

Thanks for the reply and information. Have you had a chance to check for codes? If the light is staying on it should have a code. If it's on with no codes I can give you the diagnostic procedure for that or for the code you have? What color is the spark? Yellow or white-blue?

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Spark was yellow. No codes. Where is the pcm located,i'm having a hard time finding it.

Yellow spark is weak. It should be bright blue. Might have a bad coil? Ignition rotors are also known to fail. The PCM is behind the rt lower kick panel(see image).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay,I've explained how i tested the main relay-yellow/green wire failed test,the black/yellow wire tested good. i got new relay same issue.coil is good,rotor new,cap new,ignitor good,new plugs and wires,all tested good,injectors tested good,fuel pressure good...I'm still stuck.I thought maybe wiring but engine llight wouldn't be on if wires were shorted to pcm,correct?

Automatic or manual trans? There are different troubleshooting procedures for each one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
automatic

No-Start Dig info.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
New spark plugs...wet #1 and #3 wet smell like gas...no 44fuse under hood (2000 honda civic dx).tried to start with fluid,no start

Yours might be numbered different. I sent a diagram with the #44 location. If it's getting fuel and starting fluid has no reaction either you have a spark problem or a compression problem. Need fuel, spark, and compression to start. You know there is fuel, spark is weak by my recommendation, compression? Does it turn over normal sounding?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ran test.have low compression 20-30-60-70

That is low. Even with good spark and fuel it's not going to start that way. Probably need to check the timing belt to see if it's still in time. Did this happen suddenly?

Turn the engine over using the crankshaft pulley bolt going in a counterclockwise direction. Stop on the white TDC mark, if you miss it go around again so it stops exactly on the white mark(see image). Check the cam gear marks to see if they line up exactly with the cylinder head surface(see image). It does not matter if the "UP" mark on the cam gear is on top just if the 2 cam gear marks line up with the head. If you have a ywin cam engine let me know please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
family was over I had them blocked in,jumped in car started up went to back out and it puttered and turned off.couldn't get it back on

Might just be flooded from all the cranking? Try holding it to the floor and cranking it. Still need to check the timing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry Easter Sunday...ok i got code P0113 intake air temp sensor circuit high temp

No worries I have been busy outside anyway. P0113 won't cause your problem. Did it get unplugged with the key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No unplugged after... could the crankshaft position sensor be the cause?

You have spark and fuel so no it's not the problem. The low compression needs to be solved first. Have you checked the cam timing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i'm not too familiar with working with timing but i followed your directions and it lined up

Needs to line up exactly one tooth off and it will have low compression.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
both exactly lined up."UP" mark as well.

Did it quit suddenly or how did it end up not starting? The compression is very low.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know.yes it did suddenly. 1) I didn't drive all day. 2)company was leaving so i ran out started car up,put in reverse and as soon as i stepped on gas pedal it died and hasn't started since

Well I am about out of ideas? All I know for sure is the compression is way too low. If the timing belt is OK maybe it's flooded. That can lower compression. Try holding the gas pedal to the floor and crank it. Keep on it for a while to clear out the fuel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wouldn't wear out the starter? And could the starter be the issue? Had no issues with starter b4 this...

That's the normal procedure for clearing out a flooded engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. Today I looked thru everything.Everything checked out good until I got to the pulley bolt.Now,I noticed at 1st it was easy,then became tight but not too tight not to continue turning,just tougher to to turn.Please say I'm on to something...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was loose enough to turn when you first told me.When I got to it today I turned it,missed my mark so went around again and noticed it was easy to turn one moment,then tough
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've stopped myself from taking the head off and checking for cracks,carbon build up,because I don't know if thats the right path from here...

That would be a bit extreme at this point. You have basically no compression and the crank pulley is loose. Logic would suggest the problem is related to the cam timing or a slipped timing belt.

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic