Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have a 98 Prelude 2.2l DOHC VTEC. It arrived missing the

Customer Question
head and other parts. The...
I have a 98 Prelude 2.2l DOHC VTEC. It arrived missing the head and other parts. The ignition cylinder is broken so I need a screw driver to start. I got the engine put together. Drained old gas and added new gas. Changed fuel filter. The engine cranks just fine but won't start. Then out of the blue it starts. After you turn it off, it won't start back up. Sometimes while cranking my timing light will work. When the engine is running the timing light works all the time. replaced the coil from another engine. Replaced the distributor. New Plug wires. Replaced the fuel rail and put new seals for the injectors in the intake. Didn't separate the injector from the rail so I didn't replace those seals. I have 80PSI coming out of the fuel pump. Why does the coil have spark and then not have spark (on 2 different coils)? Please help.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a 98 Prelude 2.2l DOHC VTEC. It arrived missing the head and other parts. The ignition cylinder is broken so I need a screw driver to start. I got the engine put together. Drained old gas and added new gas. Changed fuel filter. The engine cranks just fine but won't start. Then out of the blue it starts. After you turn it off, it won't start back up. Sometimes while cranking my timing light will work. When the engine is running the timing light works all the time. replaced the coil from another engine. Replaced the distributor. New Plug wires. Replaced the fuel rail and put new seals for the injectors in the intake. Didn't separate the injector from the rail so I didn't replace those seals. I have 80PSI coming out of the fuel pump. Why does the coil have spark and then not have spark (on 2 different coils)? Please help.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: When it is running it runs smooth with no vibrations
JA: Our top Honda Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Honda Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Honda Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
3/20/2016
Mechanic for Honda: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the coil and distributor have been replaced with known good parts and you still have intermittent spark, but the fuel pump continues to operate when there is no spark, then you likely have a crank sensor issue. It's possible that there could be a wiring issue though, especially since the problem started after extensive work.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes, nearly any problem causing a loss of spark will set a code. Have you checked for codes in the ECM?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I plug it in and turned the ignition on and after about 30sec to a min it gave me 0 fault codes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry meant to say plugged it in.

Are you able to monitor data?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no. can those sensor cause no spark?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The original problem with car is she blew a head gasket and had a rip off mechanic take it apart.

Yes, the crank sensor will cause a loss of spark.

Do you have a tach?

Does the tach move when cranking while the engine will not start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. it didn't move

There is no signal from the crank sensor then. It's possible there could be a wiring issue but it's more likely to be the sensor itself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I will look into it. cant get to it for 2 more days. Is there a way I can contact you to let you know if we fixed it?

You can come back and reply to this question at any time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the crank sensors and still no fire. All of my wiring looks good. I am at a loss on what could cause a car to run and then not run so on and so on. Some people at work said something about a immobilizer system. I just don't get it, because the car started twice since I put the engine together. Ran for 15 to 20 min once before I turned it off.

You do have fuel pressure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hooked a gauge up and was getting 80 psi. Unhooked the line from the fuel rail and hooked it to the gauge. I hear the fuel pump every time I turn the key.

have you checked for injector pulse?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do. Don't know how to do that yet.

You can either use a noid light or set up a test light across the terminals of an unplugged injector connector.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. I will test them

Ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry it took me so long to get back. Work and chores around the house. Any way, I put a nobe light on #1 and #2 injectors. I got no light. So I guess that means they are not pulsing. No Spark and no pulse
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for misspelling Noid light. I'm tired.

What voltage do you see on the TPS wires with the sensor unplugged and key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5.01 volts

Does the tach work now when cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

Are you able to obtain a scan tool to monitor data?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not unless auto zone rents them.

Many do. You're really going to need to be able to monitor cam and crank signal and see if the sensors are in sync.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. I'll check with them. That will be tomorrow.

Great!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm at autozone. They have scan tools. Not sure which one to get. They are Innova #3100, #3130, & #3150.

Those are all code readers. What you're looking for is an actual scan tool to monitor data.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I Figured it out. It is the security system in the ignition. I played with the key in the tumbler until it turned to the on position. put the tumbler into the little plastic piece (looks like the security system for the ignition) that would normally have it covered. slid the key into it to hold it in place while it was hanging by the electrical wires. Put the screwdriver in the ignition and turned it. It started 3 separate times in a row. Then I took the tumbler out of the plastic piece and it wouldn't start. put it back in and it started. I knew I put that damn engine back together correctly. Thanks for your help.

I'm glad you got it fixed!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician