Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I often get an "electrical buzzing" sound when turning the

Customer Question
key to start my 2003...
I often get an "electrical buzzing" sound when turning the key to start my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I am getting the electrical buzzing sound when starting my car on a more regular basis. The car always starts. But, I don't want to get stranded.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I am not going to fix it myself. But, I need to have some idea of what the problem may be. I've had some folks say there's a problem with a relay. Others have said there's a problem with the ignition switch. Others have said that the solenoid in the starter is the problem. I don't want to unnecessarily replace something that doesn't need replaced. Any ideas of what I should do?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: No, I think I described my problem in detail. I need to know what to do next.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
3/10/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I may need to ask some questions before I can give an answer. As much detail as possible is greatly appreciated.

The noise you describe is the starter relay. It will make a noise if the ignition switch electrical is worn or it will make the noise if the key is turned too slowly(see document). I would first try turning the key a little faster and making sure to turn it fully to the start position. If this does not solve your buzzing noise I suggest replacing the electrical portion(see image) of the ignition switch. This won't require replacing the keys or programming of any kind.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have all of the advice and help you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic