Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have twice experienced a battery drain particular reason

Customer Question

I have twice experienced a battery drain for no particular reason on my 2014 Honda accord coupe EX. this is the second time in about two weeks I have called AAA
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Honda Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: This is push start vehicle
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Last time AAA was able to put it back in service with a jump start. At that time the push start was only clicking. This time the push start makes no noise
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: Not that I know of I only have 7000 mi9les on it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $27 after the Honda Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

We haven't seen any common causes of a parasitic drain on these accords yet. With only 7000 miles I would probably have it checked at the dealer for an electrical fault. What they will do is hook up an ammeter and see how much draw is occurring while the vehicle is sitting.

You don't have any accesories in the vehicle do you? Phone chargers, add-on stereo equipment, etc?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Also, you could have a defective battery. We so those fairy often on the Honda factory batteries. Have you had it tested yet? (again, this would be covered under warranty)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have added accessories. The AAA mechanic tested the amperage and said it was fine. I probably should have it tested
I also thought I may replace the battery anyway. the first instance was The push start emitted clicking sound when pushed.
this time there is sound when pushed. AAA is on their way. Would amperage check for battery drain be sufficient for that check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say there is no sound this time when pushing the push-start button
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

An amperage test is ok, but a complete test with a load test would be more accurate. A better test would also identify a bad cell in the battery.

Your symptoms definitely sound like a dying battery. I would have the dealer check it since you are still covered under warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I will replace the battery. Thanks for the assistance Jared
Warren
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional help.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate.

That's how Just Answers credits us for our service.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check and see whether you still needed help on this. I haven't heard back from you in a few days.

If you no longer need help and I have been of some assistance, I would appreciate a positive rating.